Kissel 1918 Sedanette

Ron likes to do the “easy” restorations. Looks great. Ron, you said the truck is your last restoration..............you got to keep going, we all look forward to your posts........Ed

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

All - back from traveling and back finishing the 1818 Kissel. As of today, October 15, 2019, the top body trim pieces have been mounted (see pictures), and Aluminum door bottom sills have been fabricated and mounted. Kissel Kar brass step plates go on these.

almost done!

Ron Hausmann

5BFF2D75-B022-47AA-BE58-F9172D6171B5.jpeg

1235715F-C340-467E-B7A9-2D6CE6568F4F.jpeg

2099FBB1-C0D1-4CF1-A1BE-2BF4F6064CC7.jpeg

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

Keiser31- Good eye. yes, temporarily there are two. The correct one with muffler comes out the back. But it’s not connected to engine yet. The temporary one under the running board is still on the exhaust manifold before the muffler - I need to fiddle a bit with the over engineered kissel connection.

Ron

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Definitely last post. This 1918 Kissel Model 6-38 Gibraltar Sedanlette was possibly the first true convertible sedan. It was capable to be configured by its owner Into three different cars; a sealed hard top, an open tourer with top up, and a convertible with top down. These are the three configurations of the same car. Only one with top that survives.

Ron Hausmann P.E.

A4EEA9CB-7018-4FFE-B9F7-BEF29B807407.jpeg

DEB6E956-3750-47DB-AE05-6889B09C72F9.jpeg

BDD7C08F-CD7F-4375-84BD-16BAA75984C4.jpeg

FF446181-CA61-4E1C-B1F4-3F8B8184386C.jpeg

AF24B805-DF16-476B-9380-66DD36A0198F.jpeg

• Like 8

• 3 months later...
16 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Yes. It’s a “staggered door” body, which is a bit longer body than my Sedanlette. There is one body like this that survives but no top and incorrect restoration.

• Like 1

Btw, on their coupe and touring all year bodies, Kissel used curved glass front panels. You can see them on your picture. None of these tops survive. Two years ago I bought the remnants of one such 1918 Kissel coupe in Montana, and it had curved 1/4” front window panels. Both were cracked. Restoring these types would be fantastically expensive!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ron hausmann said:

Curved front glass on 1918 Kissel coupe removeable “All Year Top”

Is that a future project for you?  It actually looks like the kind of hopeless project I would take on.  

• Like 1

AURKtman - 

The coupe was cut up to be a truck. The wood was shot. The body metal which was left was shot. But the chassis was good and the engine was excellent.

So the engine from this coupe ended up being used in my pictured blue Kissel Sedanlette. And the chassis is being used as a base for my 1917 Kissel US Army truck that I’m using now. And I ave salvaged all of the unique metal pieces from the rotted wood.

Ron Hausmann P.E.

• Like 4