Kissel 1918 Sedanette

All, - This is how she looks today. Essentially done, except missing interior upholstery and some door and hood latch trim being nickeled. I have started working on convertible top sockets and top bows. Ultimately, I plan on displaying her in Convertible guise with the removeable (black) hard top next to it.

Ron Hausmann P.E.

IMG_0877[40437].jpg

IMG_0874[40407].jpg

9. 1918 Kissel Sedanette Brochure.JPG

• Like 2

Tom,

On Monday we tested my wiring job. My wiring was fine but the original ignition switch was bad. Upon inspection it looks like the brass contacts are loose and my modern solder just causes havoc with the original leaded solder, so I couldn’t resurrect that switch. Luckily I had several externally similar switch knobs so we canabalized one that works. We aren’t done yet but we did “bump” the ignition system and the engine turns fine. We should be driving very soon. Below is a picture of a correct KisselKar dash with unique ignition switch that mounts in, not on, the dash. Ron

FB3DB39B-A3D7-45FB-B86D-A88DC14D272E.thumb.jpeg.8ab432b6e62520c9562798aa85db8497.jpeg

• Like 1

All

Coincidence never ceases to astound me - out of the blue yesterday,  I was contacted by a person who has a complete NOS, yes NOS, convertible top  for a 1917-1918 Kissel Sedanlette. It has never been mounted. Yes brand new101-year old convertible top.The fabric is somewhat deteriorated due to age, handling and humidity, but the sockets, and top bows, AND all top rest hardware unique to Kissel, are there. It’s perfect for everything and pattern. It even has the Kissel rear portholes. 

I just bought it outright. How could we not? Here are some pictures. 

I will have I reupholstered in wine -colored fabric next month once I get it. 

Wow - what are the chances of this occurring?

Ron Hausmann P.E.

A212B56F-C461-4277-AF85-F9CCF3CC1586.jpeg

4AE28C30-85A4-48E7-8483-415E17C25B33.jpeg

3AC0789D-7350-43A5-B465-32329804BF8D.jpeg

• Like 5

Fantastic.......photograph it in detail for future historical knowledge. I would send photos of it to Trimacar .......he would be intrested.. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ron hausmann said:

All

Coincidence never ceases to astound me - out of the blue yesterday,  I was contacted by a person who has a complete NOS, yes NOS, convertible top  for a 1917-1918 Kissel Sedanlette. It has never been mounted. Yes brand new101-year old convertible top.The fabric is somewhat deteriorated due to age, handling and humidity, but the sockets, and top bows, AND all top rest hardware unique to Kissel, are there. It’s perfect for everything and pattern. It even has the Kissel rear portholes. 

I just bought it outright. How could we not? Here are some pictures. 

I will have I reupholstered in wine -colored fabric next month once I get it. 

Wow - what are the chances of this occurring?

Ron Hausmann P.E.

A212B56F-C461-4277-AF85-F9CCF3CC1586.jpeg

4AE28C30-85A4-48E7-8483-415E17C25B33.jpeg

3AC0789D-7350-43A5-B465-32329804BF8D.jpeg

You advertised you wanted one  - isn't this supposed to be the result :) ?

5 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

You advertised you wanted one  - isn't this supposed to be the result :) ?

John -

Yup, I was certain that someone out-of-the-blue would show up with a 1918 Kissel Sedanlette top and fittings in NOS condition.

Happens all the time - - -

RON 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

All -

As of today, May 9, 2019, we received the NOS convertible top It is a “Higgins” top, similar but not the same as the more common “Goulde” top. This specimen is in better shape than I had ever hoped for !! Although the 102-year old fabric is brittle and deteriorating from never having been unfurled in all that time, the fittings and sockets are shiney brand new, and the bows are excellent !! The original beveled glass portholes and frames are fantastic. And because the top is all there, my upholstery guy can use it for exact patterns for the new fabric. 

As this one-of-a-kind, unique, first ever convertible-hard top nears completion, these are the upcoming work items which will be documented ;

A.  Radiator needs to be lowered by de-shimming to better fit the hood.

B.  Hood latches and hood will be mounted once radiator is adjusted.

C.  Upholstery on interior of hard top and main body is scheduled for June.

D.  Handles and trim need to be applied. They are. Wing nickeled now.

E.  Once hard top interior upholstery is done, hard top will be dismounted and put onto a wheeled display dolly.

F.  Once hard top is upholstered and dismounted, convertible top will be mounted for fitment.

G. Convertible top will be recovered to original pattern with cognac colored fabric.

H. Newly nickeled convertible windshield will be mounted.

stay tuned. 

Ron Hausmann P.E.

F6957E38-58F8-4A16-9E96-9BC5BB6045B1.jpeg

5ABC96DB-57BE-4EA2-B933-5669EFB8104D.jpeg

836831CA-0318-40D3-81F1-B77EF88044A2.jpeg

ADF02411-B8DD-4BD6-9440-DA5C37E6B210.jpeg

2183CD49-89CC-43F8-97D9-3FB46EA1EC2C.jpeg

AF83765C-34B0-44C9-AD97-A6A68916DFF8.jpeg

BA3A4AB8-8A1D-4DB2-BF7B-CD932864E6D6.jpeg

• Like 4

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 4:42 AM, ron hausmann said:

Mike ,

Not a silly question.

The aluminum panel trim strips are L-shaped. The hidden sides that surround the panels are flat and drilled and countersunk for small trim screws to anchor each piece to the sides.

lot of work.

Thanks, Ron

My 1918 McLaughlin is done the same way. Probably a reasonably standard technique in this era.

Greg

• Like 1

Does the top have any rips in it?  If not, any chance of just cleaning the inside?  How fragile is it?  It looks to be in amazing shape from the exterior, but old and dirty on the inside.  Would be a shame to replace something that original, but I do see how the inside would not work with the rest of the car being perfect.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hursst said:

Does the top have any rips in it?  If not, any chance of just cleaning the inside?  How fragile is it?  It looks to be in amazing shape from the exterior, but old and dirty on the inside.  Would be a shame to replace something that original, but I do see how the inside would not work with the rest of the car being perfect.  

Hursst -

The top has a few aging ares and some rips, although I don’t know from what. The inside fabric is starting to discolor unevenly but the real problem is the cotton(?) stitching. It’s turned to dust. When unpacking, I pulled on a couple stitched pieces and they deteriorated in my hand. I believe all of the interior stitching is bad. Just due to age and humidity.

Besides all that, my wife wants a cognac colored fabric top to compliment the blueish body. And since Kissel colors wet “optional” for $20 back then, why not do the bling thing? 

Thanks, Ron Hausmann P.E.

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...

All - as of beginning of June, 2019, have delivered the car and top to Mark Larder in Homer Michigan for upholstery and recovering convertible top. Convertible top will be a dark ruby red exterior and black top interior. Interior upholstery and walls must be grai Ed leather to be correct as it was an open Kissel. Found excellent black leather hides at Detroit Leather / Reed. I’ll recommend them if you ever need true old style tanned and dyed leather bulk hides.

Here are pictures of refinishing the convertible top hardware and top sockets after having stripped the old fabric.

Ron Hausmann P.E.

9715BB94-3A77-4C37-AD17-6D082E901EF5.jpeg

E012FDF1-4EA6-4A99-BC13-6BC92A4B364D.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

All -

I have the now car in Homer, Michigan being upholstered by expert Mark Larder. see his picture below.

I also bought a small industrial cart upon which I will place the black removeable hard top when I display the car with BOTH tops at Concours and shows. I plan on doing the Concours circuit next year with it, showing it with its wonderful convertible top on it with this cart with the black hard top next to it. I had to build a framework on this cart to hold the wood hardtop for transport to exact dimensions. Should be very informative and elegant.

Ill spend this winter before next years' shows dressing it up with curtains and an obligatory spotlight.

Thanks, RON HAUSMANN P.E. 

upholstery.jpg

9. 1918 Kissel Sedanette Brochure.JPG

IMG_1153[41154].jpg

IMG_1155[41185].jpg

IMG_1171[41220].jpg

• Like 2

I hope you let us all know where the car will be appearing so we can see it in person!

• Like 1

Ron, that is one  beautiful Kissel.  That is a terrific idea wanting to show the two tops. Thanks for sharing your this great restoration with us. I also hope you let us know what shows you will be taking the Kissel to.. I would love to see the car in person. John

• Like 1

All - right now, and subject to being invited,  it looks like we will display the car at the Kissel Reunion, at the Wisconsin Automotive Museum in June, the “Eyes on Design” Concours in Grosse Point, Michigan in June, and the St. John’s Concours De Elegance in July. I will have four of our Kissels at the Wisconsin Auto Museum one including this car.

thanks, Ron 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

All - preparation of hardtop display cart and installation of interior upholstery and convertible top is proceeding well. Yesterday we dismounted the removable “two-man-top”. Us three men used all our strength to get it clear, but, once off, everything went fine. tWe mounted the NOS convertible top bows yesterday and they fit perfectly. New top will be finished next week. And the windshield stanchions actually fit perfectly - I was afraid that my holes and dimensions in my wood carved cowl might have been a bit off, but they worked very well.

more to follow- Ron Hausmann P.E.

4D81CFCA-72CB-48E0-BA63-CE96D41C055A.jpeg

B5D6FE3E-BC00-487B-8F11-951E618DF10F.jpeg

34E20AF8-FB0A-4164-B1DD-6BD02782CE04.jpeg

46A095EA-CDE5-460B-A1E9-F62F015700EA.jpeg

• Like 5

Looks great. Isn’t it about time to show us your next project? Seems to me I remember something about building a speedster. 👍

• Like 2

Ed - 

After I take several months off, I'm going to build a 1923-ish Kissel US Mail or Army truck!

I have a huge collection of parts from 9 Kissel 6-38, 6-55, and 8-75 cars, from which I could assemble two or three wood-bodied trucks. Kissel made trucks for the US Government and indeed sued them after WWI for breach. i'm a pretty decent carpenter so this will be my final restoration. Any ideas or pictures are welcome. Here are a few pics of the kind of truck Im considering.

RON

9670764-1930-ford-model-a-std-c.jpg

keego.jpg

Mail Truck 1.jpg

Mail truck 5.jpg

Kissel Showcase 2-11-18 1.jpg

• Like 1

Ok........let’s see a mail truck and a speed car. I think you should do both. The speed car won’t break the bank, and with a collection like yours you should have one car you can “drive like you stole it!” The mail truck is an interesting bit of history, and fun to see as far as an unusual project goes. Looking forward to the build........I mean builds!

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2

All,

As of July 20, 2019, the carved oak hardtop and show stand are completed. All windows, window garnish mouldings, and metal trim pieces are in place. It looks wonderful. the front door top windows raise and lower as designed. Can't wait to have it sitting right next to its car body with the roadster top on it!

RON

IMG_1368[41742].jpg

IMG_1377[41791].jpg

IMG_1374[41788].jpg

IMG_1376[41790].jpg

IMG_1373[41787].jpg

IMG_1371[41785].jpg

IMG_1372[41786].jpg

• Like 4

John Mereness -

i had to start building (rebuilding) the car using the hard top as a guid3 because that was the only t3mplate for dimensions that I could use, see original pictures below. Rotten wood but still could be measured. Those parts actually determined the car.

Ron Hausmann P.E.

BB917BC3-E0AF-419E-82AB-D38FCBDCB687.jpeg

6854E333-235B-4932-BBB3-9D7F5BADBF35.jpeg

4BEFB548-857F-4FF1-A409-36FEAF985FA0.jpeg

EC668A7F-24C8-4B59-BDB2-12B6CAC702B8.jpeg

• Like 3