Different Model A body styles and popularity of them

mrcvs

Obviously the open cars are most popular. 30-31s generally are more desired than 28-29s. Roadsters, standard phaetons and roadster pickups go for about the same money, cabriolets are a little more, Deluxe phaetons are next up, A400s are the highest valued. In most cars tudors are more popular than fordors but in Model As the tudors are the lowest valued followed by the fordors which come in multiple variations, then coupes and pickups. Victorias are probably the top valued closed cars. There are a few other ultra rare models but that's most of what you see. If you post the question on the Fordbarn you will get a better list.

There were a lot of body styles, here listed but not in order of desirability, as mentioned the 30-31 convertible sedan (400-A) is highest valued:

1928-29:

standard coupe

special coupe

business coupe

sport coupe

cabriolet

tudor sedan

steelback fordor sedan

two window fordor sedan

3 window fordor sedan (Briggs)

3 window fordor sedan (Murray)

leatherback fordor sedan

standard phaeton

standard roadster

open cab pickup

closed cab pickup

station wagon

1920-31

standard coupe

deluxe coupe

sport coupe

cabriolet

Victoria

convertible sedan

tudor sedan

2 window fordor sedan

3 window fordor sedan (Briggs)

3 window fordor sedan (Murray)

slant windshield fordor sedan

standard phaeton

deluxe roadster

standard roadster

deluxe phaeton

open cab pickup

closed cab pickup

station wagon

commercial vehicles:

panel delivery

standard deluxe delivery

drop floor deluxe delivery

drop floor panel delivery

special delivery

town car delivery

Edited by trimacar (see edit history)

A Comprehensive List is available here:

MAFCA - A Body Type Codes

In general, like most antique cars, the more common body styles are generally less expensive to purchase and the less common body styles are more expensive. You asked about popularity, not value. It is difficult to quantify what is most popular. If it is how many still exist, it is probably the Tudor Sedan. There were many more of them made and probably many more of them still exist. I have owned many Model A Fords over the years. I personally never really cared for the Tudor Sedan, and have never owned one. I suspect that it is one of the least valuable Model A body styles but I think that there are a lot of them still out there due to the large number produced.

No, Model A has value...period...even a doodle bug, which is a chopped up farm use vehicle, will bring four figures in price.....an unrestored sedan in fair condition $2000-3000 easy...running chassis $1000-1500....

There are no "free" Model A vehicles..

Okay, looking at an older restoration 3 window 1930 Fordor. What are thse bringing these days, and also, if fully restored and if poorly restored (this one is restored well).

Also, what do y'all think the future will bring? Lots of grey-haired folks at car shows these days.

No, Model A has value...period...even a doodle bug, which is a chopped up farm use vehicle, will bring four figures in price.....an unrestored sedan in fair condition $2000-3000 easy...running chassis $1000-1500....

There are no "free" Model A vehicles..

Trimcar has expressed it well. No more " free" Model A's.

I probably sell about 20-30 Model As every year-likely more than any other vintage car dealer.. Most of them never get advertised because they sell before I can take pictures of them. Model As are the most popular collector car today for the same reasons Ford sold 5 Million of them between 1928 to 1931. They are the foundation for the collector car hobby and have always been popular with the gray hairs and new collectors alike. As much as I like big Full Classics and other rare cars, it is a lot easier to sell a Model A for 20-40K than a similarly priced Packard or Cadillac.

Attractive cars, easy to drive, nice 45-50 mph if in top shape, more if modified slightly, easiest car in the world to find parts for (just a credit card and phone call away), large support group/club......easy to see why it's so popular.

It's much more of a challenge to own and maintain most other collector cars, particularly the large Classics, and the pocketbook feels it too....a professional engine rebuild on most of the big 'uns will cost the same or more as a nice Model A....

All a matter of what floats your boat.....