Say Goodbye To Another One

CarlLaFong

It's going to happen more and more often...I saw a beautiful mid-30's open Packard today, V-12, and the owner had requested the shop to install power steering....kudos to restorer, he's talked owner out of it for now...

People are getting lazy and comfortable, they don't want to experience the history, they just want a 2013 Honda that looks like an old car...

Looks are subjective. I think it is a beautiful car. Yes, the last time you checked (and I'm sure you did), it is a free country. I and my ancestors fought for that. My point is, it is a survivor and should be preserved. I see a bleak future for the car. But he can do as he pleases. I just find it repugnant. In this free country, it is my right to voice my displeasure.

Not my car, owner can do what he wants with it, last time I checked it was a free country. Bob

Something the owner of every historic building that might make a more lucrative Taco Bell can certainly relate to, and the guy with the horsemeat rendering business who owns the lot behind your house. Damn zoning people!:rolleyes:

I hope it's not my imagination, but it's my impression that the Lost Souls aspect of the street rod hobby seems to be slowing down, or maybe people just aren't caring enough to point it out anymore. It could just be that the hobby is dying.

Oh well.

I'm actually heartened to see more than a few people on the HAMB chiming in to either leave it alone or not to cut it up radically, but just to do a few upgrades like disc brakes (there are now bolt-on kits for these cars) and get it running. We're not alone.

I don't know why these amateur builders feel like they need to reinvent the wheel with a custom chassis. Upgrades for the sake of upgrades, especially by the home mechanic, is certainly not a smart way to spend money. All these guys in their home garages who think they can do it better than the biggest, most wealthy company in the world with the best and brightest engineers? LOL! Even without computers, those guys in 1940 were plenty smart enough to build a safe, reliable, comfortable car, even by today's standards.

Or you can just buy a bunch of stuff out of a catalog, bolt it on, and build a rod just like everyone else's. Yeah, ditch that cool old straight-8 with dual carbs and just get a 350 crate Chevy with a Holley on top. Just like everyone else. Why do these guys think that by starting with an unusual car, ditching all the unusual parts, then stuffing in the exact same components everyone else uses, that they will somehow end up with something that doesn't feel ordinary? Most of the guys I talk to with rods for sale tell me, "It's just kind of boring to drive," which is why they're selling it. Anything with a Chevy 350, 4-barrel carb, 3-speed automatic, 9-inch rear, and Mustang II front suspension will drive pretty much identically, and that's what they ALL seem to have.

What's the point of rodding again?

Guest 51c8Joe

I am not a Buick guy, and don't want to sound too dumb, but what makes a 1940 Buick Limited a full classic? Is it styling, superior mechanics or what? I think its a great looking car but not what I would think of as a "full classic". Flame on.

Actually, the 80-series Buicks in 1940 got on the CCCA approved list due to a technicality, since Buick called them "Limited" just like the 90-Series (this was in 1940 only). They're actually the Roadmaster from the year before, but there was a new, smaller 70-Series car that became the Roadmaster, so this one got promoted to 80-Series Limited, and it disappeared entirely in 1941. The 90-Series Buick Limited models have always been Full Classics, and deservedly so, as their engineering, performance, styling, and accommodations were the equal of many other luxury cars of the era, including Cadillac. Cadillac's complaints about Buick crowding the high-end market are largely why the 90-Series disappeared after the war.

I agree that this is kind of a frumpy looking sedan, but it is indeed on the CCCA approved list. It is powered by Buick's top-of-the-line 320 cubic inch straight-8 which was among the finest, most powerful engines of the period, and with its coil-spring suspension and torque tube, it arguably rode and handled better than most of the competition at the high end. I think they're worthy cars, they're relatively rare, and while I don't much care what folks do with their cars, I do get tired of the same cookie-cutter recipe on rod after rod, making them some of the most boring cars to drive and to look at. Guys who think they can do it better than the factory often end up with cars that are ordinary at best and dangerous at worst. Not all "upgrades" that claim to be about safety actually achieve that goal...

I think some of you guys need to spend less time on HAMB and more time here, that way you won't frustrate yourselves nearly as often with these types of stories. BTW you did your part, he is pretty resistant, I'd let it go at this point and hope he at least is able to drive a car that 3 out of 5-generations have yet to enjoy. Spend some of that time looking for parts for our own cars or that next project, or buy it from him and make THAT your next project. :)

Matt, you stated it well. A few years ago I asked some young guys at a school why they wore their caps turned around backwards. The said to be different. I said, No you don't. You do it to be like everybody else. By the way, every car saved gives the young generation one more example to see of how cars used to be built.

Guest prs519

Why the obsession with changing the front end and steering gear? If this is built like the 37 Limited I used to own, it has a magnificent front suspension, with big, finally-tuned shocks, coils, and a center mounted bell crank with push-pull tie rods on each wheel. The bell crank input was from the front, solidly mounted in the center of the heavy frame crossmember. Fabulous overbuilt engineering, in my opinion. Steered like it had power steering!

I'll be the dissenting opinion here. I've seen many very well done street rods. At our All-GM show earlier this month, Best of Show went to a phenomenal 1935 Buick street rod. This was a resto-mod, in that externally it looked pretty stock, but the drivetrain was a Buick 455. Late model running gear, custom wheels that looked like stock but were wider. Extremely nice leather interior. Not all hot-rodders are the devil reincarnated.

Feel free to purchase that car and lock it up so that no one can touch it. Otherwise, whining about it doesn't do anything but elevate your blood pressure.

My observations are: 1) some people have absolutely no business with ANY old car, and 2) some people just need to have the s**t smacked out of them.

But, free country. We could be in a situation where the guvmink is forcibly removing old cars from the roads, and I'm not so sure that won't eventually happen.

If the car is already half gone is one thing, but a nice survivor type car should be left alone. If these hamheads think their old car should perform like a 2013 model, then they should BUY a 2013.

Boring to drive? Try boring to look at, since whatever the current trend is, is what they'll build. Sheep following the flock.

Then again I drive Oldsmobiles, so daring to be different is kind of bred into me.

DOLLARS..........lets be honest would ANYONE HERE spend $1,500 to SAVE that lump? Didn't think so. IF it won First in Class at Pebble Beach (someone claimed it was FULL Classic) would it sell for over $20,000........................and what will the cost of a TOTAL restoration go for in 2013 dollars? Bob

Guest Oldschoolgent
It's going to happen more and more often...I saw a beautiful mid-30's open Packard today, V-12, and the owner had requested the shop to install power steering....kudos to restorer, he's talked owner out of it for now...

People are getting lazy and comfortable, they don't want to experience the history, they just want a 2013 Honda that looks like an old car...

This is probably the most accurate statement I've ever read in my life.

I am really amazed at how often this happens. I've been talking with a guy who has a '29 Lasalle sedan that was a running and registered car. He's decided that he wants to make it for comfortable to drive so he has it at a Rod Shop. I've tried to talk him out of it but no good. The shop has already removed the drive train, suspension and interior. All to be replaced with "better" equipment. I could see if it was an old barn find with rust and rotted wood but this was a nice running car! I'm trying to buy all the unwanted parts so at least they can go to a needy car. What a waste!!

DOLLARS..........lets be honest would ANYONE HERE spend $1,500 to SAVE that lump? Didn't think so. IF it won First in Class at Pebble Beach (someone claimed it was FULL Classic) would it sell for over $20,000........................and what will the cost of a TOTAL restoration go for in 2013 dollars? Bob

You don't HAVE to totally restore it. We are living in a time when driving a car like that, as is (mechanically checked, of course), is cool! Granted, Straight 8s aren't cheap for parts, but they're cheaper than putting a full new frame underneath! I think this would be a fun cruiser if you didn't put TOO much money into it.

Me. I would pay 1500 bucks, American, cash, right now, today, for that car, providing the interior doesn't look like a hundred generations of racoons have lived in it. If the carpet matches the drapes, so to speak, consider it sold

At $85.00 an hour or whatever the shop rate is , the BETTER the car the lower the total labor bill will be. This logic goes with full blown restorations as well. Bob

I am really amazed at how often this happens. I've been talking with a guy who has a '29 Lasalle sedan that was a running and registered car. He's decided that he wants to make it for comfortable to drive so he has it at a Rod Shop. I've tried to talk him out of it but no good. The shop has already removed the drive train, suspension and interior. All to be replaced with "better" equipment. I could see if it was an old barn find with rust and rotted wood but this was a nice running car! I'm trying to buy all the unwanted parts so at least they can go to a needy car. What a waste!!