53 Super no crank

trickrk

Got home Sunday from car show shut of my Super and it will not crank at all, not even a click. Battery is new and charged. Head lights do not dim when I try to start. Throttle linkage is actuating the starting switch. I can hear the electric fuel pump kick on when I turn the key. Any input would be appreciated.

Guest FlatheadTools

Sounds like no electricity is getting to the starter, as the lights do not dim. check the cable connection between the solenoid and the starter.

I had the exact same issue with my 53 Super. Take every wire/cable loose from the battery and starter and use some sand paper to clean the connections. I did them all so don't know which one was causing the problem. Put them back in place and the car started as normal.

Gary

Clean connections as noted. Be sure it is in neutral or park. Carefully with the key on jump across the vacuum switch on the carb (those wires are not fuse protected and if shorted will instantly fry your harness). If no joy, jump 12v to the wire on starter relay that goes down to the solenoid (on my 55 it is a black wire)....careful to have it in park since this bypasses the neutral safety switch. Report back.

Willie