Fuel Filter Preference--Original Stone/Ceramic Element or Modern Paper?

beerczar1976

Just looking for thoughts as to performance vs. "original look". I've got access to "original style" fuel filters with the stone/ceramic element or have the option of replacing with current aftermarket AC-Delco paper element filter. Both have the metal body and glass bowls. I've heard that the stone filters are non-replaceable. I'd think the stones may clog after a while though. My other option is that the paper element can be replaced when dirty. Does anyone know if one style works better than the other? This is probably a similar argument to the whole oil bath air filter vs. the modern paper filters...

Guest shadetree77

I say get the best of both worlds and use both. Put a plastic inline filter with a paper element hidden out of sight under the car but still accessible to change and put an original stone type up front for the original look. That's what I did. As for the durability of the stone filter, I've heard that they last for a really long time if you clean them out occasionally. Maybe others will chime in with some more experienced comments on those.

. . . . The stone is cleanable and is reusable over and over again. The paper is not and just clogs up your garbage bin. The oil bath, believe it or not, is far superior in performance than the paper filter by a magnitude factor of 2.5. The ease of service using the paper air filter is superior by a factor of 2.0. But then again what are you attempting to accomplish. Making sure your engine breaths clean air and receive clean fuel or minimizing the time of discomfort required while servicing? But as we all know, can't have it both ways.

Fuel:

The modern paper elements are superior to the ceramic filter. Back in the 1940's/1950's Carter devised the "magnatrap" (a small magnet placed in the housing for the ceramic filter) because rust particles could pass through the ceramic. The ceramic filter may be cleaned almost indefinitely and reused. If both are used with original lines, the ceramic filter will catch particles released from the sides of the fuel line when the fuel line was disturbed to install the filter. The ceramic filter will also discolor as if it were catching something from the decomposition of modern fuel (the same garbage accumulates in the carburetor).

Air:

I don't know which is superior. I do know that some construction equipment used in an extremely dusty environment use the oil bath. I do not know if this is due to superior filtering, or a larger capacity before changing.

Jon.

Some interesting points and things to consider. I actually have two of the ceramic style, one currently on the car, another one as a spare. Will probably have to install the spare as my brother so nicely pitched the metal spring at the bottom of the glass bowl out into a field of tall grass with some pretty dirty and cloudy fuel. D'oh!! :rolleyes: I might still go crawling that field to see if I can find that damn spring. I do know that the current stone element is discolored as CarbKing noted whereas the spare one (which I think may have been used at some point) is still white colored.

I know CARS and Bob's both sell the aftermarket metal and glass w/paper element version for about $30.

Currently in the process of cleaning, sanding, and re-painting my oil-bath cleaner. May/may not use it, still undecided. I think I remember a post where someone put a paper element w/o oil in the bath pan in place of the stock basket that's filled with the metal "filings" and oil.

Not to throw a monkey wrench into the conversation, but my mechanic told me that modern gas tends to vapor lock easier than the old gas and the ceramic filter tends to get very hot when the car is running and makes that problem worse. So I kept the glass bowl but removed the ceramic filter and instead installed an in-line filter.

Any thoughts on that?

Joe

Your mechanic is right about the modern gas, but is wrong about the location. Vapor lock happens on the suction side of the fuel pump, not the delivery side where the filter in question is located. If you have vapor lock, it is between the fuel pump and the tank...that's why most of us in Hot South Texas have an electric pump at the tank.

Willie

Willie:

So if I understand your theory correctly, you are basically saying that it is not likely that the ceramic filter will get hot enough to cause vapor lock with the modern fuels. I have a tough time believing that it will too.

Thanks.

Willie:

So if I understand your theory correctly, you are basically saying that it is not likely that the ceramic filter will get hot enough to cause vapor lock with the modern fuels. I have a tough time believing that it will too.

Thanks.

What your mechanic was referring to is particular situations which tended to occur way back in the old days like on some packards that had the fuel pump over the engine or on some of the early 60 cars that had long metal lines running close to the heads which in both cases would cause the fuel to percolate, then partially distillate. These setups and there were many such as these mentioned would serve as great heat sinks which in turn facilitated the percolation of the fuel. So if the filter element was in a particularly hot location then this would also be a suspect.

Regarding paper air filters. Just curious but what particular physics and science are those among us who believe porous paper elements are functionally superior to that of a well designed oil bath systems, basing their learned opinions on?

Guest martylum

Mid 50s Desoto and Chrysler engines used the Carter bowl with white ceramic filter and I had one 55 which seem to suffer from fuel starvation with the older ceramic unit. Found a new ceramic element and the problem was solved so they can get clogged up and no way to tell. I'd probably use a hidden inline filter and put only a new ceramic unit on for appearance. Bought some of these from a Carter warehouse about 15 years ago.

Martin Lum

53 Roadmaster