Pump prime

Guest zazothex

Guest zazothex

I'm finally putting the '47 engine back together and am wondering about how everyone primes the oil pump. I know we can't use the old drill motor trick in these. Some of the flathead curmudgeons at the HAMB suggest packing the entire pickup with vaseline. Since the v12 unlike the V8 has a filter, could I just keep adding a pint at a time to the canister and let gravity pull it down thru the block? It's been sitting for a few months as I've waited for parts and whatnot, so I was going to hit the cam with a drop or two more cam lube before sealing it up as well. Any tricks anyone know about?

Adding oil to the filter cannister will do no good. What little oil drains through the small orifice in the center tube of the filter goes directly to the valve lifter feed. Here's what I do to prime a fresh engine: first of all use assembly lube on all the bearing surfaces when assembling the engine. Then either before or after you install the engine in the car, fill the crankase with 5 quarts of oil. Now with all the spark plugs removed spin the engine over with the starter. Oil coming out of the fuel pump bushing is a good indication the system is being primed.