Neighbor has a Morgan with cycle fenders, how common?

As above, my neighbor is storing her brother's Morgan in her garage so I am often treated to random inspections when I'm feeling nosy and she's feeling patient. :) It is fitted with beautiful cycle fenders which I presume are aftermarket but can someone tell me if this is accurate or did the factory fit them to any cars? I'd guess you could special order anything within reason but typically speaking did they come like this? The owner did not know for sure.

The sister believes the car to be from the 1950's tho it has a flat grille, not curved, so that would be a '53 or prior I believe. In some areas you can see a multitude of paint layers revealing some interesting color choices, my favorite being a pea/sage green, the car is currently BRG or similar. Sorry, I have never snapped pics.

You are definitely going to have to post a photo or two of the car to get a reliable answer to your question. Cycle fenders were put on some pre-war Morgans at the factory, but mainly racing specials of very limited production. Then again pretty much anyone could have installed a set on a Morgan at some time, be they aftermarket or just off of another car. The second possibility would be the more likely, especially a car that was club-raced in the 1950s and 1960s.

If you can, find out the car's commission (serial) number. This will help to sort out what year the car was made and (hopefully) tell whether it was a factory racer or not. Posted below is a photo of a 1938 LeMans 4-4 with original cycle fenders, if that helps.

post-30638-143142162726_thumb.jpg

I'll ask if I can snap a pic next time and try to get a serial number if they are willing. From the pic above I doubt it was a factory racer unless someone later altered it to street use by converting it back to a road car, ie: more standard windshield frame, glass, etc. Also if they are correct on the date being a 1950's car that would be too late for the factory program you described, but we all know stories get altered with time so it would be a cool find if it turns out to be a racer.

Where can I find the commission number, is it stamped or an attached plate somewhere on the car?

Where can I find the commission number, is it stamped or an attached plate somewhere on the car?

I seem to recall the commission plate on Morgans being attached to the firewall, but I might just be thinking of MG T series cars and getting them confused. I can't find a good image to tell me either. Hopefully a Morgan person will happen by and let us know.:)