Well I am to the point of thinking seriously about the interior of my car (1939 sedan currently stripped) and want to know what others have done.

The car is dark maroon and I am thinking of a buttery color to the interior. I have all the original (well moth eaten) interior but I am not sure what would be best as far as seat coverings. Did the Zephyrs have optional leather seating areas or was that only a Continental option? Were there options for door panels or was wool it?

I would like it to look "correct for the period" but I also want it comfortable and able to be driven and wool seating in the Deep South is simply not an option. What have others here done?

Thanks!

Joseph

The Lincoln Zephyr restoration manual has a section dealing with the interiors of the cars from 1936 thru 1948. A club project thru the LZOC. Should be available thre the "sources" listed on LZOC webpage. One of the advantages of being a club member. Come join us. We need new members...right Mr. Bwatoe?

Well I am to the point of thinking seriously about the interior of my car (1939 sedan currently stripped) and want to know what others have done.

The car is dark maroon and I am thinking of a buttery color to the interior. I have all the original (well moth eaten) interior but I am not sure what would be best as far as seat coverings. Did the Zephyrs have optional leather seating areas or was that only a Continental option? Were there options for door panels or was wool it?

I would like it to look "correct for the period" but I also want it comfortable and able to be driven and wool seating in the Deep South is simply not an option. What have others here done?

Thanks!

Joseph

Don't be too quick to rule out original-style interiors. The Zephyr interior is nothing like the mohair you see in some vintage cars. My interior isn't itchy at all and really doesn't get that hot, even when I've had it out in 90+ degree weather. Also, the reproduction fabrics are much more stain resistant than the original wool (ask me how I know!). I like leather, but I was worried that it would show creases and wear quicker than the cloth would. After 7800 miles, my cloth seats still look like new. It's really a matter of personal choice, but I think the original style is something you don't see too often and kind of adds to the interest of the car.

But whatever you do, you're going to have a heckuva beautiful car when you're done ;)

Try SMS auto fabrics in Oregon. They will send you samples of the original type fabrics used in your car. They supplied fabrics for both my cars including body cloth, seat fabric and headlining. The '39s were offered with custom interiors in broadcloth which really looked nice. They were dark colors (blue,green and maroon)

Who supplies the fabric for your car? I am not dead set against it so some samples sound like they may be in order. I Definitely like the pleats in the benches that were stock and I love the footman's loops etc...

Good question -- I'll find out and post.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with Cecil. Don't rule out the original too quick. They say the best summer suit is a thin wool,-wears like iron and breaths well, such as the wool std tan broadcloth in many Lincolns. And Lincoln did a nice job of matching the interior colors with the exterior paints- don;t have to worry about being a tint off and clashing with exterior. Not many leather seats installed, and very few are left. Have been summary articles in TWOTZ. Right now there is a Custom interior brochure on E-Bay for $69 and a dealer album with some interiors shown for over $300, if you want to look at some of those pictures and options. Custom interiors were actually much simplier to replace, less pleats etc, and might be an option as you have more colors. Paul