T-Bolts?

Taylormade

The body of my Dodge DL is attached by bolts that rest in a channel-shaped trim piece, then extend through the running board splash piece, the body, and then the frame.

IMG_2479_zps8f0a01bf.jpg

I've seen these called channel bolts, T-bolts, and captive bolts. The problem is, I can't find anyone who has them. Grainger and McMaster-Carr don't list them. Anyone know of a source? They take a 1/2 nut and are about an inch and 5/8 long.

IMG_2482_zps45340943.jpg

IMG_2481_zps645596e5.jpg

IMG_2480_zps78e0a043.jpg

The rounded end slides into the channel trim piece and is held there blind where it can't turn. This allows you to tighten the nut without having to hold the bolt from the front.

Now if I ran into that problem I would not spend the time looking for them but would head to the store and buy some grade 8 in the same thead size and grind me up some. Not saying that is the right thing to do but it would be something that I would do. I've been following your restoration thread and find it very well documented and informative. Good luck with whatever choice you make. Scott...

Now if I ran into that problem I would not spend the time looking for them but would head to the store and buy some grade 8 in the same thead size and grind me up some. Not saying that is the right thing to do but it would be something that I would do. I've been following your restoration thread and find it very well documented and informative. Good luck with whatever choice you make. Scott...

Trouble with that is that the heads are longer than your average bolt head is wide.

Lots of good ideas. I thought about grinding them down, but as keiser31 says, they aren't wide enough. I guess I could try to weld extra on, but there are 18 or 20 bolts and my welding skills are less than stellar. They really have to be very close to the original size or the head of the bolt will end up distorting the trim piece when tightened. They also have to be able to slide easily in the channel to position all the bolts correctly.

Edited by Taylormade (see edit history)

Maybe you could get a machine shop to saw off a small side of solid bar stock and cut sections to use as heads. Make a bunch and sell them to all of the MoPar guys who need them.

post-37352-143142162035_thumb.jpg

1/2 inch nut? Is that the wrench size? If so, most likely the threads are 5/16 - 18. I think I would make up a die and do a little Black Smithing with normal bolts to form the proper head.

T-bolts are too large. The wrench size is 1/2 inch. I need thread all the way to the top - no shoulder. Rockler has something close for clamping work to a saw table, but they are thinner and flat on the top. I suspect they are also standard, and I'd like to use Grade 8 for body mounting. Time to get out the grinder.

These are the Rockler bolts:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=1573

Edited by Taylormade (see edit history)