Sign in to follow this  
geigs

Your advice/counsel greatly appreciated

Thanks all again. Everyone's advice has been really helpful and as far as I'm concerned you all have skin in the game now. I plan to make Hershey my last stand. If I don't buy something before then, I'll find something at car corral to bring home. Once again, really appreciate everyone taking the time to respond.

.................. Since you mentioned Craigslist, do you have a preference between a classic car dealer or a private sale? Thank you.

I would suggest you seriously consider joining the AACA, and a local region. I read many newsletters each month and can tell you that there are a lot of nice antique drivers for a lot less than $12,000. I've seen the Falcon type cars you speak of priced from $3000- 6000.00. A good starting point for a new antique owner. Simple to fix, parts right at a local parts store. Wayne

For me, it's the hunt. Once I get something, I always question why I bought what I did. Doesn't matter if it's old or new - I bought a new Taurus last year and am already thinking about what I'm going to do when the lease expires in 2 years. It took my 9 months to settle on the Taurus. If I'd had the means, I would still have every car I ever had so in 30 years when I'm too old to drive, I could have had an auction like the Lambrecht cars. I could come back from Hershey with half a dozen cars every year. But, when you see the right old car, you'll know it.

For me, it's the hunt. Once I get something, I always question why I bought what I did. Doesn't matter if it's old or new - I bought a new Taurus last year and am already thinking about what I'm going to do when the lease expires in 2 years. It took my 9 months to settle on the Taurus. If I'd had the means, I would still have every car I ever had so in 30 years when I'm too old to drive, I could have had an auction like the Lambrecht cars. I could come back from Hershey with half a dozen cars every year. But, when you see the right old car, you'll know it.

You and I are the same. We are maximizers. Maximizers will settle for nothing but the best. They endlessly research options and often second-guess the choices they make. The problem with being a maximizer is that there is always a potentially better option that exists, and thinking about these other possibilities can be frustrating and nonproductive.

I would suggest you seriously consider joining the AACA, and a local region. I read many newsletters each month and can tell you that there are a lot of nice antique drivers for a lot less than $12,000. I've seen the Falcon type cars you speak of priced from $3000- 6000.00. A good starting point for a new antique owner. Simple to fix, parts right at a local parts store. Wayne

Thanks. Excellent idea. I'm joining tomorrow.

Update: I finally bought a collectible car! On July 20, 2014, I purchased a 1956 Studebaker President Classic with just 42,500. Per your advice, I joined the Studebaker Driver's Club at the beginning of the year as well as the regional chapter. They helped me track down this car. I also just joined the AACA and am joining the Sugarloaf Region AACA chapter. I always post a conclusion, so thanks to all for going along on the ride. post-49891-143142671293_thumb.jpgalbum.php?albumid=542

post-49891-14314267129_thumb.jpg

Excellent choice! When you said you had a soft spot for independents I had a feeling you might end up with a Studebaker. Nice looking, low miles car that isn't very common ( a plus in my book). I know SDC is a good club too. I imagine mechanical parts won't be too difficult to find since Studebaker didn't make too many different engine models. Good luck with it!

You and I are the same. We are maximizers. Maximizers will settle for nothing but the best. They endlessly research options and often second-guess the choices they make. The problem with being a maximizer is that there is always a potentially better option that exists, and thinking about these other possibilities can be frustrating and nonproductive.

I'm in this group. I research and shop so hard I often end up not even buying anything I was looking for. I guess that's not always a bad thing. I can't be sold anything. I will not listen. That can be a problem also. I will buy what I want when I want, and that never changes.

I really like that Studebaker. Looks like a great car!

Update: I finally bought a collectible car! On July 20, 2014, I purchased a 1956 Studebaker President Classic with just 42,500. Per your advice, I joined the Studebaker Driver's Club at the beginning of the year as well as the regional chapter. They helped me track down this car. I also just joined the AACA and am joining the Sugarloaf Region AACA chapter. I always post a conclusion, so thanks to all for going along on the ride. [ATTACH=CONFIG]264172[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]264173[/ATTACH]album.php?albumid=542

Let's see, you started this thread on August 25, 2013 asking for advice and input, but you bought the car on July 20, 2014. I guess you really did take us along for a ride.

Nicely done,

Grog

Edited by West Peterson
corrected date (see edit history)

Sign up for a couple of AACA Tours. You can stick your thumb in the air and take a seat in many different cars and be a passenger for a few days or a week. You can switch off and ride with someone different every day of the event if you wish. We're always eager to give rides and sometimes people need navigators. Experience touring and riding in some different cars form the era you are most in love with and you'll gain a lot more knowledge and experience with particular cars. Whether it's MGs or Model Ts there is plenty of choice. Stop and see us at Hershey and let us know how you are doing. Keep an eye out for the annual list olf who is where that comes out every year just before the big event. See you there!

Terry