Lincoln-Zephyr Club. Members. Only. Special secret message. Free stuff!!!

Mssr. Bwatoe

Ok, no free stuff, the club is running out of cash, and has yet to mention this forum! Is the membership too out of touch and unable to use the Internet?

Question....are you a member??? C'mon!!! Please answer let's see who we are.. maybe the magic pen of Jim Zeffer will wax poetic enough to alert the rest of the club to our little "electronic gathering" here. Thousands view this but only a dozen contribute. So, simply a yes or a no..it's easy. ​please.....

Well, looks like we have tons of non members who read this!! so, here is a good place to recruit new members!! (read support funds)

Richard Cole is a electronic graphics guru, i think ..maybe if he has his Pop over for dinner, he will show him this

marvelous medium

Edited by Mssr. Bwatoe (see edit history)

Guest 65Starfire

I have not joined. I have printed the application a few times but never seem to get it together with a stamp and a check... Sounds (and is) stupid, but I don't have any bills that I mail any more so I never sit and pay bills with the checkbook. Everything these days is online, automatic or Paypal. I will make a point of doing it!

Thanks for the heads up. Perhaps we could get them to set up a Paypal account?

Excellent point about paypal. The club could certainly use a form of online payment. I looked for that also and would have joined immediately if that was available. Im sure others have not joined yet for the same reason.

If the club is hurting we should be looking at why.

Ok, no free stuff, the club running out of cash has yet to mention this forum! Is the group unable to use the Internet?

Question....are you a member. C'mon!!! Please answer let's see.. maybe the magic pen of Jim Zeffer will wax poetic enough to alert the rest of the club to our little "electronic gathering" here. Thousands view this but only a dozen contribute. So, simply a yes or a no..it's easy. ​please.....

I'am a member, since '86 #86 ,I check this website just about every day. I guess I could contribute more or at least post some pictures. Larry Butcher

You are right, thousands view, few respond. And each year it gets fewer and fewer. I’m a youngster at 67. I’ve been a member since ’96 when I bought my Zephyr.

Most of the faithful dozen here know what I do. I make reproduction interior items for our cars. I have a difficult time reaching the Lincoln owners that could take advantage of my services. I have a full-page ad in the LZOC Owners Club Membership Directory touting my products, an ad in the LZOC Classifieds and last year Dave Cole wrote a very nice two-page article on my business. All of these methods have generated a few responses but not as many as I hoped. I post my latest new products on this forum but I think I fail to reach any new prospects, nor any requests for more information.

I think my next approach might be direct mail. Perhaps a post card or letter specifically directed at members and their year of car. What’s my chance of ROI (return on investment)?

I didn’t start this venture to make bank, as they say. I certainly can make more money using my talents in other ways but I have a love of these cars and I think I provide a needed service.

Am I just out of touch?

Hey Keith!! Thanks for you response, I was thinking maybe no one really understood my point... I want to help you reach them!! My dad is

80, and he can read forums but never would post..( sports sports sports) But, this is so helpful and fun to have others chime in on whatever

Zephyr issue is kicking my tail..with immediate help from Peech and the rest!

My point is, that maybe if we can alert the club, via the magazine about this forum..we can help fix and inspire many folks..No disrespect intended, but I think the club population is not the internet crowd, but maybe with a little coaxing ..Maybe Murph, who is one of our most senior highly respected club members could contact Dave C. or Jim B. who obviously has a connection and is so poetic with his prose...

How about an online version of the mag, with a paypal dues option..geeeeeeez..

Hey Keith!! Thanks for you response, I was thinking maybe no one really understood my point... I want to help you reach them!! My dad is

80, and he can read forums but never would post..( sports sports sports) But, this is so helpful and fun to have others chime in on whatever

Zephyr issue is kicking my tail..with immediate help from Peech and the rest!

My point is, that maybe if we can alert the club, via the magazine about this forum..we can help fix and inspire many folks..No disrespect intended, but I think the club population is not the internet crowd, but maybe with a little coaxing ..Maybe Murph, who is one of our most senior highly respected club members could contact Dave C. or Jim B. who obviously has a connection and is so poetic with his prose...

How about an online version of the mag, with a paypal dues option..geeeeeeez..

I have been a member on and off since 2001, the 'off' part is when I have to renew my subscription but get frustrated having to print out the form, fill it in and mail it with a cheque. In this internet / electronic age it's not really acceptable especially if we want to recruit new (younger?) members. I don't remember the last time I paid a bill by cheque. Rather than printing out the form etc etc I ended up telephoning and paid by credit card. It's a wonderful club with a great magazine, let's hope it can carry on.

You are right, thousands view, few respond. And each year it gets fewer and fewer. I’m a youngster at 67. I’ve been a member since ’96 when I bought my Zephyr.

Most of the faithful dozen here know what I do. I make reproduction interior items for our cars. I have a difficult time reaching the Lincoln owners that could take advantage of my services. I have a full-page ad in the LZOC Owners Club Membership Directory touting my products, an ad in the LZOC Classifieds and last year Dave Cole wrote a very nice two-page article on my business. All of these methods have generated a few responses but not as many as I hoped. I post my latest new products on this forum but I think I fail to reach any new prospects, nor any requests for more information.

I think my next approach might be direct mail. Perhaps a post card or letter specifically directed at members and their year of car. What’s my chance of ROI (return on investment)?

I didn’t start this venture to make bank, as they say. I certainly can make more money using my talents in other ways but I have a love of these cars and I think I provide a needed service.

Am I just out of touch?

Keith, I know what you mean, I'am a charter member since 1968; #86. I too make parts (see ad in parts for sale) . I tried direct mail and it did not work. Perhaps, I have saturated the market, but one thing I do believe is that many people do not take the time to read the ads or TWOTZ! Just look at the pictures. I too never wanted to make "bank", but at least cover "upfront" money.Perhaps a new part? I hope to have some pictures soon of my latest project, a running and on the road '48 LC coupe. At my age ( almost 71) What was I thinking?????

Boy those 38 parts Larry makes are the cream or the crop. Perfect, like going down to toledo's Lee Motors on Cherry street, in 1938, and getting new parts..with a cool name as well Zephyr Hollow...isn't it?

Put pictures of the parts as response to this...be sure to say 1938 Lincoln zephyr new reproduction factory parts, because

google searches this forum. And it is a free way to advertise, people search for 38 Lincoln and your name pops up in these posts..

i

Edited by Mssr. Bwatoe (see edit history)

Boy those 38 parts Larry makes are the cream or the crop. Perfect, like going down to toledo's Lee Motors on Cherry street, in 1938, and getting new parts..with a cool name as well Zephyr Hollow...isn't it?

Put pictures of the parts as response to this...be sure to say 1938 Lincoln zephyr new reproduction factory parts, because

google searches this forum. And it is a free way to advertise, people search for 38 Lincoln and your name pops up in these posts..

i

Thanks for tip, I'll have to do that first of next week

Although I have a garage full of Buicks, I look here at least once a week. I am shopping for a Cosmopolitan or a Senior Packard.

My experience has been that 10% of any club members are active. 90% are lurkers.

I'm ambitious. Here's the Cosmo that came close to qualifying me:

post-46237-143142177738_thumb.jpg Needs paint for show.

Bernie

post-46237-143142177734_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well I just saw this post and thought I would chime in! For those of you who are aware, I am the President of the Western Region of the Lincoln Zephyr Owners Club. Our Western region is strong, active and vibrant, we have a great color publication and do a lot of meetings locally. Our next one is the Santa Maria swap meet in November, then at my house in January, one in Arizona in March and then the GOF is scheduled for mid May at the Queen Mary (We are in the planning stages and it will hopefully include LCOC-W and LOC). We have many members who attend the meetings (we had a lot last meeting!).

The West is doing ok financially, and we are well within budget for our publication. When I became President I cut costs through cutting the number of issues printed and negotiating a new deal with our printer and we even went to color with high gloss pages! Last meeting we voted to send $1000 per year directly to the national club's printer to help with the printing costs of Way of the Zephyr. I understand that the national club is not doing great financially which is unfortunate. I have made many suggestions to national regarding cost cutting based upon my experience out west. We were thinking of going to an electronic edition but I decided against it due to the lack of interest because many of our members are not computer savvy.

For those of you who are selling parts we offer free advertising in the LZOC-W Trail (as long as you are a member of LZOC-W). Since last year when I became President we have added about 20 members and are adding more every year. We have members from New Zealand to West of the Rocky Mountains.

On another note the problem is young people are simply not into our cars. I am an oddity as a member I am currently 25, when I joined I was 19! This was only because I tracked down my grandfather's '48! Our Zephyrs, Lincolns and Continentals are much too expensive for the young collector and they grew up in a world where Mustangs were cool.

• 4 weeks later...
got my welcome book and lcoc comments in the mail this week.

Looks like you joined the Continental Owners Club. I believe the club under discussion in this thread is the Lincoln Zephyr Owners Club. If you own a car based on the HV-12 chassis, i.e., a Zephyr or a 1940-48 Continental, this is the club you'll probably benefit from the most. We'd love to have you join.

• 2 weeks later...

I joined the LZOC in around 1969, when it became apparent that the LCOC was moving into late model Lincolns and giving little attention to the V12 Lincolns. I wholeheartedly agree with Bob Mead that the LZOC is the place to be for information and services for the V12 Lincolns!!