Early Electric Klaxon horn question

alsfarms

I have a couple of early Klaxon Electric horns. One has a serial number of 1781 with the second horn a serial of 93596. I also have a couple of early teens projects. I already plan to use the lower serial number on the older car but it would be nice if someone here has information that would suggest what years related to a certain serial number series. Does anyone have serial number information? I would also assume that this type Klaxon horn would not have been used a lot before 1911 or 1912? The horns all show a Patn. date of 1908. Also, does anyone have spare parts for these horns. I have a bad vibrating plate in one horn.

Al

• 2 weeks later...

Al,

I have responded to your email as well, but I'll put my thoughts on here as well. That to me looks like an industrial signal/warning style horn. Is there any "Type" listed, like maybe a "W", "WL" or "WS". I don't recall seeing any automotive horns like that in the past and when I went to the Klaxon horn manual it matches up pretty close to the industrial types. I could be way off, but that's my opinion. As for the diaphragm, I'd need to see it and possibly match it up. I won't be able to supply it based on the picture, even if you find the type.

-Jason

Edited: Actually if I would read all the way on to the next page, those industrial horns are listed for automotive use as well and it shows different mounting brackets available also.

Edited by startergenrebuilder (see edit history)

bth_DSC00291640x480.jpg

This is the horn I am working on and would like information relating to the serial number and use per year? Does that information exist? I have tried several sources to no avail. This horn has a serial number of: 93956

Al

This is very much a brass era automotive horn. If you Google images "Klaxon 20" you will find many pictures of this car horn. Howard Dennis

post-33891-143142185663_thumb.jpg

post-33891-143142185667_thumb.jpg

Edited by hddennis (see edit history)

Lighting kits were available before starters [electric],,

Short bell Rolls,,3bolt holes

Short bell taper mounting hole,,Locomobile,,

I think the electric kits started around 1908,,but are RARE,Sort of like a working AIR STARTER

Has anyone seen a Saurier air start,,earlier as 1905 I think,,Hi end stuff to die for,,Good subject for a fun research project

Cheers,,Ben