Sign in to follow this  
allardman

idiot scammers

so, I posted a ad here a few days ago looking for a DRE intake for a caddy engine....got a pm from isaacbrunswick@gmail.com yesterday stating he had one and wanted to know if I was still in need...even gave me a price which was not on par for what it is, and having already seen posts about Mr isaac, I told him that I was still in need and seeing as I had friends in the UK, would it be OK for one of them to bring cash and pick the intake up...well, musta pissed Mr Isaac off as he promptly got back to me and told me that he wouldn't do any "third" party sales.....I said, well, if a friend of mine isn't good enough, given that these intakes are kinda rare, I would be more than happy to fly over and pay for it and pick it up myself....well, one can imagine that ticked him off even more and he threatened to have the police waiting for me when I arrived....I, being the kind and gentle soul that I am, said, sure, I have no problem meeting the police to buy a part that he offered me and asked for his address so that I could book a flight...end of conversation!

What gets me about it is the guys trying to scam you, gets caught, and then gets mad!

what does he expect? By the way; I like your title for the thread { idiot scammers }. I"m sure we could also think up other adjectives to describe these kind.

Perfect!

When handling a sale always say that you can come by or someone you know can, if he says no then no sale.

If he says yes, another step to prove he has it is ask for a picture with the item and a current newspaper cover in it showing the date, if he says no then no sale.

Always be clear you want tracking and pay by paypal, or money order/bank draft. That way you can prove you paid and he cashed it and you can prove it it was sent or not.

One has to be vigilant these days, an honest seller would do this for you...especially if it is a high dollar item.

Edited by stealthbob (see edit history)

personally, pictures don't really matter to me...speaking in person give me a pretty good idea as to what the items condition really is...if the conversation sounds funky, then it probably is...this guy who contacted me wouldn't give a address, wouldn't sell it to a friend who had cash, and got pissy pretty quickly with some simple, standard, innocent questions...red flag number one. he wanted to "sell" a item, yet wouldn't deal with someone in person?????DUH....sometimes you can't fix STUPID and DISHONEST.

The unfortunate fact of life is that every website on this planet attracts scammers. It is just one of the unfortunate aspects one has to deal with when advertising on the world wide web. No different than than the people walking around Hershey or any other swap meet looking for something to steal.

I don't think giving someone an extra picture is too much to ask. I know this may seem to be an affront to your internationally known, 5 star reputation, but there are a few people, in remote areas, that have never heard of you

I've never heard of you. Besides, when dealing with people you don't know, you can't blame someone who MUST have proof that the item is for sale, and he or she is speaking to the rightful owner. If a seller gets offended by me wanting this proof, then I believe that the seller has the problem, NOT the prospective buyer.

Almost everytime I have posted something in the wanted section, I have been contacted my a scammer offering to sell me what I want at a very reasonable price. They are always from the UK. Hey, it's the world we now live in. I didn't cause this, but I sure will do everything I can NOT to be a victim of this.

Maybe it's just me, but if it takes requesting photos of the item with a current newspaper to make you feel good about doing a deal, well...in my opinion you shouldn't be doing the deal.

I can tell in about 2 seconds (on the phone or by email) if a seller is legit just by the way they conduct business and answer questions. A quick phone call can usually give you all the info you need to know about the seller and their legitimacy if you're unconvinced by email. Sure, I ask for photos, but I've never had such questions about the legitimacy of a seller that I've ever had to request a photo of the item with a current newspaper! If things seem that fishy or questionable that you have to ask, it's a deal you should probably be running away from.

I don't bother responding to scammers. I add them to my blocked senders list / spam filter, delete the message and go on with life. Engaging them in conversation is just a waste of time though some may find the exchange a source of amusement.

As for pickup in person, some people just don't want to do that. I'm one of them. Perhaps I'm paranoid, but I do NOT offer local pickup at my residence for anyone unless it is a friend I've know for years that has proven trustworthy. I don't do friends of friends or anyone else, I don't care who you are or what your online forum reputation is, you're not invited in. I'm very private in general and take the safety and security of my family and my property and possessions very seriously, so I don't invite strangers onto my property and don't want people looking around my home or garage and definitely don't want them to go away talking about it to other people. I'm happy to come to you, but I don't want you to come to me. Don't get me wrong, my home is not a fortress and I don't live in a constant state of fear, but with the world the way it is these days, I'd like to try to preserve some shred of privacy and anonymity. If someone doesn't want to buy my stuff because I won't let them pick it up and my home, then so be it. I'll throw it up on Ebay and ship it halfway around the world to someone I'll never meet and who will never know my personal address. My point being that if someone is adamant about no pickup in person, don't just jump to the conclusion that they are crooked...they might just be someone like me.

And, use your common sense when doing deals, folks! It''s really pretty simple to keep yourself safe:

-If it seems to good to be true or it seems questionable, it probably is. We've all heard that forever but seem to need a reminder sometimes.

-Get the info! Name, address, phone number, etc. It's amazing how many people do deals without ever knowing this stuff! The Ebay mentality, I guess. Know where you're sending your money and where your item is coming from!

-Don't be afraid to call a seller. I've never had a seller refuse a simple phone call to put a deal together.

-Don't send Western Union (ever) and use extreme discretion when sending postal money orders as they are essentially the same as cash.

-Buy stuff from the person that owns it. Be leery of sellers selling things for their "friends."

-Ask for photos, but don't make the seller jump through ridiculous hoops by taking silly photos to pass your smell test. A FEW photos should give you enough info to know if you want to proceed or not.

-Don't buy a car without paperwork. Many threads on this forum have certainly been a testament to that!

-If you suspect a scam, do a little google searching on the name, email, and text of the message. If it's a scam, chances are someone posted it online, somewhere.

-When in doubt, trust your instincts and walk away.

I do NOT offer local pickup at my residence for anyone

Neither do I. Since I live only half a mile from an interstate offramp I tell them I'll meet them at a gas station there which is both easier for them and safer for me....

Neither do I. Since I live only half a mile from an interstate offramp I tell them I'll meet them at a gas station there which is both easier for them and safer for me....

Bingo! That's what I would do, or even at the local Police station.

I was not my intent to offend anyone.

No reason your posts that I read earlier, and now see you have deleted, should have offended anyone. There should be room for different opinions here without anyone taking offense. If someone is offended that easily they should reconsider using the forums. My $.02.

Mr. Scooter Guy says in Post #7 that he can tell in about 2 seconds,

by phone or e-mail, whether a seller is legitimate.

I'd suggest more caution. Most of these scammers appear to be

crude and somewhat obvious, but from what I've read, true con men

can seem polished and charming. So be "wiser than serpents" and

use prudence in all cases!

well...I have attracted another scammer with my ad...this guy wanted the same sort of moneygram as his paypal was "down"...he even sent me pictures of the intake setup with carbs...problem is, it was someone elses pics!!!...we went back and forth about picking the parts up where he lives in colorado...and now he has disappeared...I did find a post about him on a Saab website in which he tried to scam someone else...his email address is jjandvis11@gmail...

Mr, Iaasic Brunswick just answered my part search. I told him we saved England's butt in two world wars. I asked him if he knew how many Americans died so he could try to steal from us. What a dirt bag. BEWARE!

Mr, Iaasic Brunswick just answered my part search. I told him we saved England's butt in two world wars. I asked him if he knew how many Americans died so he could try to steal from us. What a dirt bag. BEWARE!

Problem is, like so many people today, I'm sure he doesn't give a damned about that.

well...I have attracted another scammer with my ad...this guy wanted the same sort of moneygram as his paypal was "down"...he even sent me pictures of the intake setup with carbs...problem is, it was someone elses pics!!!...we went back and forth about picking the parts up where he lives in colorado...and now he has disappeared...I did find a post about him on a Saab website in which he tried to scam someone else...his email address is jjandvis11@gmail...

This type of scam is well known and is called the "system is down scam" in which everything seems fine until it comes time to pay and the seller then claims to have some sort of technical issue and thus needs to be paid (usually) by Western Union or Moneygram.

Scammers using photos found online has always been an issue and is probably the most difficult aspect of a scam to pick up on and ultimately to combat. I even had a guy several years ago that tried to "sell" me something that was already mine (and was never offered for sale) by pulling some photos I'd posted online and emailing them to me in a for sale ad. Oops. This is why it's important to consider the overall "package," meaning what was the communication like? What payment method is requested? Does the seller seem at all knowledgeable about what they are selling? And so on.

Ah yes Mr. Brunswick !!! He also has all the parts that I've been looking for for my '34 Buick sedan. They're in the same place allardman's manifold is. Hooray for you allardman!!!!! I thought something was fishy about his response----so it seems the wiff I got was correct. I haven't responded as yet and won't respond at all now. Poor Mr. Brunswick that's two sales he's lost out on and I hope many more with what's posted here.

More than likely this individual does not even reside in England. At this time the majority of these type of scams originate in Nigeria. Most probably the entire message is fraudulent with the exception of the contact email address which will change on a daily basis as system administrators constantly delete the userid's of known scammers.

Edited by michaelod (see edit history)

There are also honest sellers out here who have the computer skills of a Billy goat but will treat you right.

I hope folks dont get so jaded they miss out on good honest deals. It seems likely some will. That would be a lose lose situation for both buyer and seller.

There are also honest sellers out here who have the computer skills of a Billy goat but will treat you right.

I hope folks dont get so jaded they miss out on good honest deals. It seems likely some will. That would be a lose lose situation for both buyer and seller.

I have bought many parts from people that I didn't know, or never will. When dealing with a scammer, trust your gut. So far, I have never been scammed, and could always tell when communicating with a scum bag. Some are really good though, so always be careful, and never let your guard down.

Scammers are encouraged by a good stock of gullibles that won't or can't believe "too good to be true" etc. The gullibles that amaze me are those who keep going for the bait.