Need help with a 1930 60 series master throttle arm

Guest bigdaddy01

Guest bigdaddy01

I purchased the gears for the advanced and throttle and I need help figuring out what to hook the throttle arm to. It also seems like I'm missing an arm to something else. The car runs and that is how it came, adapted? Tried to find diagrams of how it was originally with no luck.

There are multiple parts in this assembly as it is something originally developed by a graduate of the Rube Goldberg School of Engineering. Please post some pictures of your car in that area and I think we can determine what is missing and how it should be installed without much difficulty.

Locating the missing parts may be a more difficult issue.

Thanks,

Edited by michaelod (see edit history)

So far I see a couple of rods with swivels that are missing for both the throttle and spark advance. As noted previously it is a complicated system so I need to see a photo of your lower firewall, drivers side, near the back of the engine where the gas pedal emerges. Also there should be a rod for spark advance connected to the distributor that attaches to a bellcrank on the passenger side at the rear of the engine at about the middle of the firewall. If you could get some pictures of these areas we can see what else (if anything) is missing.

Thanks,

Also note that the rod that attaches to your throttle on the carburetor is not stock (I am not referring to the missing "throttle" rod that is controlled through the steering column lever) and your carburetor is from 1929 or earlier. Not necessarily a bad thing, just something to be aware of.

Thanks,

Guest bigdaddy01

We know that the throttle arm isn't stock and yes the carb is a 1928 brass since our "pot metal" one broke. I'm going to try and post two more pics. We are trying to get it back to how it should look.

post-95220-143142157731_thumb.jpg

post-95220-143142157732_thumb.jpg

bigdaddy01,

The additional pictures were helpful. I think we have enough information now to figure out what you need to return the assembly to a stock condition. I am posting a few pictures of my 1930 model 68 which is setup correctly. In picture #1 you can see 2 rods attached by swivels for throttle and spark advance. Your car is missing these. Picture #2 shows the terminating point of those rods. Each arrow represents a missing part of the assembly that I do not see on your car. There are 5 individual parts that I can see that you will need to locate. In addition in order to use the assembly you will also need to locate a stock throttle-to-carburetor rod and spring which brings the total to 7 parts. In picture #3 you can see where the spark advance rod to the distributor emerges from behind the engine. Note that yours is present although it is currently installed upside down. Also your starter rod assembly has been modified and is not stock. I am not trying to be critical, but since you wrote you wanted to return to a stock appearance I am just pointing that out.

Thanks,

post-63406-143142158086_thumb.jpg

post-63406-143142158094_thumb.jpg

post-63406-143142158103_thumb.jpg

Guest bigdaddy01

Thanks for the pictures. It helps me to better understand how it should look stock. The starter pedal pieces that I'm missing are pot metal as well? Maybe that was the reason for the modification? The car was my wife's uncle's car and he passed away so we weren't able to talk with him about any changes. As for the missing parts, do you have any possible connections that could help me start to try and find them? Any help would be appreciated.