63 and 64 on BAT

petelempert

If you have never visited the BAT site (Bringatrailer.com) its worth a look for two reasons: First, its a cool site that serves up a daily dose of funky old cars for sale of all makes, models and vintages. Second, because this week they featured two first gen Rivs for sale in Washington state found buried under a forest of brush...$1,000 for both. Seller claims they "ran when parked" twenty years ago. The property is now being sold and a weedeater helped excavate the two Rivs. To my eye, they look too far gone, but the picture is really thought provoking. PRL

Thought provoking indeed. The CL ad says that they are a '63 and a '64. The tail lights say they are two '64's. I found a similar car last year. The foliage absorbed most of the moisture and I found quite a bit of good sheet metal - floor boards and quarters for my '63, and floor pans for my '64. Under-trunk-cup body mounts for a friend's '63. Hood, fender, and inner fender for another guys '64.

Someone needs to take a look and see how much of the algae could be washed off and see what's underneath.

Ed

I agree. Somebody ought to take a look. Since they are sitting on the ground, I'm thinking things could be pretty swampy. It reminds me of a Riv I looked at about 10 years ago, when was finishing another car and looking for the next big project. I went to look at a 70 Firebird. This guy had inherited a bunch of his dead father's cars and they were all sitting outside in a yard in east Dallas. The Firebird was a compete mess. Across the yard was a 65 Riv. I had never really considered a Riviera. I walked towards it and it looked sunbaked but good. The guy told me the old line..."It was running when my Dad parked it years ago". I opened the door and the sadness began. A wave of fetid, humid cat **** air hit me. About a dozen cats tore out too. All the floors were gone, the interior was so toxic I could barely stand near it. The floors had given out and the cats had moved it. Instead of becoming "greenhoused" inside, this was "cat housed". Today, I would have offered him something for the bones, but in the moment I just wanted to get away. A once proud car, his fathers "pride and joy", was now a stinky cat farm. One good outcome...it planted the seed in my mind about Rivieras. Today, a 63 is sitting in my garage about 80% complete. No cats are allowed near it. PRL

OK Pete: We have 9 outdoor cats. All (fixed) very nice and a part of the family. One draw back is that we must leave the windows closed because if one of them flops in a car there will be fleas for days. The cars with big old holes in the floor pans? That's why there are floor mats!

I looked at these last week in CL. There are old car people who get soooooo excited seeing a really clean, authentically restored piece. Me? These heaps give me that same euphoria. If my bus wasn't so darn full I would have made a play for them and would have had them already! Mitch

• 2 weeks later...
Guest fumanchu
OK Pete: : I have not seen these in the flesh. It might not be too awfully difficult to connect the dots from the info given. Still, these things make me nutty. Mitch

1963 and 1964 Buick Rivieras

I'm up in Sumas, WA and I would gladly go take a look if I could find the ad (it's expired now) just need to find the contact information.