WANTED......34 X 3 tires

Guest oldgascar

Guest oldgascar

Looking for 4 tires 34" X 3" any color and any tread as long as all 4 tires are the same. Metric tire sizes willl work also close to 34 x 3 :cool:

Bob F.

Louisvill, Ky

I do not think they ever made a 28 inch rim for an early car. Only for farm tractors ( A much wider and taller tire.) A handfull of large high end cars had 27 inch rims like the Olds Limited, or Buick B or C-55. ect. What the heck do you have? A McCormick-Deering Manure Spreader???

Dahoooo. If Corky Coker has em, then they made em. Must be a sleek old bike/ cycle car you have... Photos please. Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

I do not think they ever made a 28 inch rim for an early car. Only for farm tractors ( A much wider and taller tire.) A handfull of large high end cars had 27 inch rims like the Olds Limited, or Buick B or C-55. ect. What the heck do you have? A McCormick-Deering Manure Spreader???

Dahoooo. If Corky Coker has em, then they made em. Must be a sleek old bike/ cycle car you have... Photos please. Dandy Dave!

They most certainly did make 28" rims for cars. A lot of the large sizes on American cars like 27" on 1913 Cadillac have removeable side rings that can be reversed to suit either straight sided or beaded edge tyres. As far as I am concerned with 28" that is a "beep". My 1911 4 cylinder Napier that I am restoring when not interrupted by other urgencies has Rudge Whitworth wire wheels with 28"" beaded edge rims that cannot run straight sided tyres. The only 36 x 4 tyres that seem to be available are straight sided. I have in the past run a 5.00 x24" tyre on a 23" beaded edge wheel (895 x 135) like this without problems. If worse comes to the worst I can make up special lock rings to run 29" straight side tyres. I can now machine these easily by making up a fixture for the bed of the Kearns horizontal boring machine I have just squeezed into place.

Guest oldgascar
These should be close enough.......didn't find weight capacities.......yet >>> 28" Motorcycle Tires | J&P Cycles

(Yeah F&J.......fergot about that....... )

J & P cycles states the inside diameter of the tire is 28" and Coker states the overall diameter is 28 inches. I am not sure who is correct. If the i.d. is 28 inches, then the o.d. should be 34 inches.

They most certainly did make 28" rims for cars. A lot of the large sizes on American cars like 27" on 1913 Cadillac have removeable side rings that can be reversed to suit either straight sided or beaded edge tyres. As far as I am concerned with 28" that is a "beep". My 1911 4 cylinder Napier that I am restoring when not interrupted by other urgencies has Rudge Whitworth wire wheels with 28"" beaded edge rims that cannot run straight sided tyres. The only 36 x 4 tyres that seem to be available are straight sided. I have in the past run a 5.00 x24" tyre on a 23" beaded edge wheel (895 x 135) like this without problems. If worse comes to the worst I can make up special lock rings to run 29" straight side tyres. I can now machine these easily by making up a fixture for the bed of the Kearns horizontal boring machine I have just squeezed into place.

Ey ey captian. I see that. It is just something that is not all that common. Even back in the day it seems rare. Dandy Dave!

Dandy Dave asked, and oldgascar answered about the Olds Pirate race car. Dandy Dave then commented leading me to believe he may not be familiar with it. For DD or anyone else wanting to know, the Olds Pirate was a race care built by Oldsmobile while Ransom was still around there. It was TWO Oldsmobile one cylinder engines connected together on a very light chassis with a tiny seat for the driver. A truly wild looking and fast little car (either 1901 or '02 if I recall correctly) (Not as sharp as I used to was) I believe there is one copy running around already. However, like 1886 Benz and Henry's quadracycle, some of these things need to be seen more than the surviving original can accommodate. Don't hide the fact that a car is a re-creation.

Dandy Dave, I love that Buick roadster in your picture.

oldgascar, Just curious, are you using original CDO engines? I would love to see that thing running some day!

Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Guest oldgascar

Wayne, I am using a horizontally opposed 2 cylinder engine from the early 1900's. It is a Brennan.( 1904 I beleive) I am now also looking for a 2 speed planetary transmission for the project. So if you happen to have an extra one sitting around, just let me know.

Bob

Dandy Dave asked, and oldgascar answered about the Olds Pirate race car. Dandy Dave then commented leading me to believe he may not be familiar with it. For DD or anyone else wanting to know, the Olds Pirate was a race care built by Oldsmobile while Ransom was still around there. It was TWO Oldsmobile one cylinder engines connected together on a very light chassis with a tiny seat for the driver. A truly wild looking and fast little car (either 1901 or '02 if I recall correctly) (Not as sharp as I used to was) I believe there is one copy running around already. However, like 1886 Benz and Henry's quadracycle, some of these things need to be seen more than the surviving original can accommodate. Don't hide the fact that a car is a re-creation.

oldgascar, Just curious, are you using original CDO engines? I would love to see that thing running some day!

Thanks for the info. You are right, I never studied the Olds Pirate before. The Buick Roadster in my Picture is 5 times better seen in person, and at least 10 times more dazzeling to drive. ;) And I will have you know that it is always a white knucle ride. :o.... :cool: Dandy Dave!

This is from the 1913 Dykes Automobile Encyclopedia, 38x4 1/2 is a 29" rim, 40x 4 1/2 is a 31" rim, 42x 4 1/2 is a 33" rim, well you get the idea. I believe American Underslung took the 33" rim.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]209649[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]209650[/ATTACH]

Given the roads of the day, I can see why they used these tall rims and tires to keep these cars from dragging on the ground through ruts and muck holes. It makes sense that the American Underslung by design would need taller tires to keep it from getting stuck. Thanks for the info. I can see that these are on very high end Autos. Givin the price of tires in the old days, one could not be poor to have something with such a large tire to replace and repair on a regular basis. Thanks, Dandy Dave!

Wayne, what documentation do you have that it was two one cylinder Olds engines connected together? I was put in charge of the team that built the GM 3/4 replica. Olds naturally offered a two cylinder in '04. The Pirate raced in '03.

Steve Moskowitz,

Documentation? It has been a while (several years) since I read an article in one of the primary club magazines. I do not recall whether it was AACA, HCCA, or VMCCA, and I do not recall if it was a then current or an old issue I bought a couple hundred of a few years ago also. I can only assume that what I read was accurate (I rarely use the word "assume" because, as you know how it is spelled). I used it now because it may be appropriate in this instance. I do know that not everything printed is correct. I would hope that if someone was truly interested in the Pirate, they could do additional research.

I type slow. Which may be a good thing. Otherwise I would "say" (write) a lot more (I also tend to be opinionated and outspoken, just ask almost anyone I know). If I were to spend the time to research and expand upon some of my comments, I would have no time left to work on my projects. And I have too many projects and too little time as it is.

I had looked in on the thread several times hoping someone smarter than I had elaborated on the pirate, but no one had.

Steve M,

No offense taken. Just clarification.

oldgascar,

Sorry no non-T planetary transmissions laying around. I seem to recall an early, open, non-Ford planetary transmission being for sale in the HCCA Gazette a year or two ago. Otherwise, those are a bit difficult to find.

post-30866-143142159673_thumb.jpgOK, all I can say is that everything we uncovered during the creation of the replica for Oldsmobile Division was that the engine was a two-cylinder opposed engine. There are about a half dozen different Pirate photos in existence and very little information about the technical aspects of the car, just reporting on the events it raced. Attached is a picture at the Indy 500 with the Pirate next to the Speedway's CDO.. I have a great period photo but for some reason it won't load...try later. Edited by Steve Moskowitz (see edit history)

Guest oldgascar

Since my hopes of finding 34 x 3 beaded edge tires are fading. I really want to use 28 " rims, so I thought maybe I would look for a supplier or manufacturer of solid tires or 3 " round tire stock to put on 28 " rims . Does anyone know of a source ? I found a company in Selina , Kansas which may be able to help. I will contact them this week.

Bob

Guest cben09

The Pirate next to Louis Ross steamer,,,Who are the other two?,,,

Some of the early Stanleys use a 29" rim

Some of the cars at Brighton have large rim sizes,,

Cheers,,Ben

P/s ,,does anyone need a L,Ross 500#open face steam guage??

Edited by cben09 (see edit history)