Sign in to follow this  
ped58

1941 Packard with no oil filter

I have been looking at a '41 Packard Clipper 110 that was "restored" twenty years ago but not the engine. The engine has never had an oil filter, the 6 cylinder engine seems to run OK.

The odometer says 67,000 miles on it , I don't know how many times around.

Will not having an oil filter scare you away from buying this car. I would rate the car a 3.

Thanks.

It wouldn't scare me. Lots of cars came with no oil filter.

67000 is close to the life of an engine in those days especially with no oil filter. You might want to do a compression test and check the oil pressure to get a line on the engine's condition. Of course a lot depends on the price, the higher it is the choosier you should be.

It is not hard to add an oil filter, they were available as a dealer accessory or from any garage. They are not hard to find and can be added in an hour or so.

Most of the 1941 Packards came standard with the oil filter, but I think (I think) the 110 may have been an option.

As mentioned, not hard to install, and I think they're fairly easy to find, but if you want the exact one that Packard offered, you'll need to do a little research.

I'm pretty sure that the 110 had an optional oil filter (also the 120 if I'm reading the owners manual correctly). The 160/180 had one as standard equipment (due to the hydraulic lifters on the 356). I wouldn't let the fact the 110 doesn't have one make any difference in a decision to buy (but I'd add one if I got the car).

Edited by JD in KC
Correction (see edit history)

No oil filter could be a plus if its absence caused the owner to change oil more often than he might have if it had a filter.

As it was noted above, many cars were delivered without an oil filter. My '59 Studebaker Lark never had an oil filter. All you need to do is change your oil once a year regardless of milage. Your engine will do just fine. My car has never burned oil. Rog

as a pedantic aside, I don't think there are any 6 cyl 1941 Clippers. Didn't the Clipper (a mid year intro) only come with the 282 8 cyl in 1941? Yes, later there are 6 cyl Clippers.

as a pedantic aside, I don't think there are any 6 cyl 1941 Clippers. Didn't the Clipper (a mid year intro) only come with the 282 8 cyl in 1941? Yes, later there are 6 cyl Clippers.

Yes, you are correct. I based my answer on the 110/120 owners manual... not the Clipper (didn't pick up on the Clipper at all).