Brass Era Brake Lining Clearance?

MochetVelo

re: 1911 Hupmobile

I got my brake shoes relined, telling the shop that the drum was 8" ID. They sent the shoes nicely lined, but with an 8" OD. Of course, they're a tight fit with no clearance. They say they can grind them down for me, but how much clearance is the norm? The one-piece, cam-operated expanding shoes on this brass-era car don't expand very much.

Phil

Grind the lining down? It sound like they used a modern brake material instead of the old woven type. If this is so they will wear your drums down in a hurry. Are you talking about service brakes or the emergency brakes? Most brass cars had external service brakes and internal emergency brakes. Ether way they will wear your drums out quickly.

I have woven linings on the external contracting bands on a 2 cylinder Maxwell and they need to be quite loose on the drum otherwise after a short drive they start to bind and drag on the drum. It seems that light rubbing of the lining heats and expands the drum enough to cause the brakes to drag. I simply back them off until they no longer bind.

David

I have woven linings on the external contracting bands on a 2 cylinder Maxwell and they need to be quite loose on the drum otherwise after a short drive they start to bind and drag on the drum. It seems that light rubbing of the lining heats and expands the drum enough to cause the brakes to drag. I simply back them off until they no longer bind.

David

I vote for that method, too. As a brake mechanic I can tell you that if there is drag on woven linings, they will get a glazed surface from the heat buildup and then you will really have trouble stopping.

Whether they are internal or external, if you have no adjustment, then of course you will either have to "grind" the lining down for clearance or replace the lining with thinner material.

The Hupp, as you say, has a cam that pushes out the open end of a "solid" casting, to activate the brakes...thus you'll never have the ideal fixed round drum contact....so you need the clearance to be minimal but enough (My son still says I'm Captain Obvious, Defender of the Already Known)..I'd try a 1/16 inch clearance on each side and go from there...shoes will somewhat conform to the drum...

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a photo of a brake lining grinder. It's not a job I would've wanted in the asbestos days. Anyway, the shop installed 3/16" woven lining on my shoes, the thinnest they make (see photo), and I'm thinking I need 1/8". Anyway, I'm thinking the springs may contract the shoe enough to clear the drum. If not, I may try to sand them.

Phil

post-52500-143142183695_thumb.jpg

post-52500-143142183691_thumb.jpg