modern wheel bearings ????

i have an '01 Dodge Ram 1500 1/2 ton pic-up full size. It has somekind of strange wheel bearing set up on it that i have never seen before. The wheel bearing retaining nut is marked 'Do Not Reuse'. My question is: Are these wheel bearings adjustable??????? It seems just a tad loose (on the left side only) and i would like to adjust it. I have never ran into this kind of wheel bearing nut before. The owners manual says these bearings r sealed for life and no service is needed for them. Ok???!!! How ling WILL they last?????

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

I have always been amused by the concept of "lubricated for life" bearings. They're lubricated for life, alright. Run out of lubrication, and they run out of life.<BR>Kinda like "engineered obsolescence".

yeah, "lubricated for life' kind'a begs the question: how long is it expected to live???.<P>There really is NO such thing as lubed for life. <P>This is the first time i've ran into this kind of wheel bearing. Just got the truck and havnt had a chance to get a repir manual for it.