1955 Roadmaster correct interiors

Earl B.

I have a similar issue with my 1954 Special. You may want to contact SMS Auto Fabrics. As I understand it, they have all of the original patterns and can send you a sample kit to match your original materials.

Zowie But, how many of those showroom albums could still be around?????? What I want to see is what part of the seat is vinyl, what part is cloth.. that type of choice. I saw one where the entire seat is cloth, but where your back goes is a big piece of vinyl, which I think is correct, but I really don't like that..... That is what options I want to see, the different configurations of vinyl and cloth. Did the '55s come with leather? or was it only vinyl? Was there only one pattern available? the checkerboard pattern?

The blue and white one is the way my car is now. The black and white has the checkerboard vinyl insert, as well as the two shades of blue. I would like to know which, if any, are correct? Also, what other designs/combinations were used?

post-48053-143142146598_thumb.jpg

post-48053-143142146614_thumb.jpg

post-48053-143142146618_thumb.jpg

Data plate is 494. On the backs of my seat is brocade, which I think is original. Did the 2 door cars all have the geometric vinyl on the seats where your back would go? I really don't like that at all. Is there some sort of optional design other than this? The material is fine, it's the geometric vinyl I don't like. Could the entire back be cloth?

post-48053-143142149555_thumb.jpg

I realize I can do anything with the car that I want to.... after all, it's mine. I would like to do the car in an original way, but a way I like also.

I'm doing the '22 Studebaker and '32 Packard totally original. I'd like to do the Buick that way too, but, I don't think I'd like that geometric vinyl on my back. The panels of the geometric vinyl on the doors, which the car has the originals, is fine with me. I'm just trying to put something original together with something I also like.

Vinyl is so stinking hot, and I have a non aircon car.... Maybe it doesn't get as hot and humid up there as it does in the South.

Too, on the backs of my seats I have brocade.... I would think that is what originally came in the car. If there is brocade, did it still have the inserts?

Guest Rob McDonald

B, I've had a few cars with leather seats and a bunch with vinyl and I've found the leather to be a lot more comfortable in the heat. Mind you, "heat" is a relative term and humidity is rarely an issue up here.

You need to see a Color and Fabric album to determine if the original leather was embossed with the same square grid as the vinyl (I'm not fond of it, either. Looks good in a Century but somehow not right for a Roadmaster). If so, it's likely that SMS can reproduce the same effect on the leather that they supply. I've been to their warehouse and can assure you that they'd have a copy of the album and the ability to stamp-in whatever pattern is required.

BULLDOG, please scan and post the pages of your album that include the Roadmaster interior options. A couple of years ago, I did this with my '57 Color and Trim album and have referred to it myself many times - http://forums.aaca.org/f162/1957-buick-upholstery-trim-colour-options-294246-2.html. It's a real service to the hobby and I don't think it hurts the value of the original documents at all.

BULLDOG, please scan and post the pages of your album that include the Roadmaster interior options. A couple of years ago, I did this with my '57 Color and Trim album and have referred to it myself many times - http://forums.aaca.org/f162/1957-buick-upholstery-trim-colour-options-294246-2.html. It's a real service to the hobby and I don't think it hurts the value of the original documents at all.

I promised to do that. I apologize for mot having done that yet.

Two jobs and two avocations get in the way of my hobby……

It's a shame I don't get paid for my looks……

Here we have the present interior of my car. The first picture is the brocade on the back of the front seat. Would this be the original upholstery? What else is correct, incorrect. I think the reupholstery was put in in the '60s. Is it Buick material? I think Bulldog can answer that one. And finally, if the car came with brocade, did it have the vinyl inserts in

the seat backs?

I'm not searching for a specific answer. I just want to know how it was. It may very well go back as it originally was.

post-48053-143142168562_thumb.jpg

post-48053-143142168578_thumb.jpg

post-48053-143142168593_thumb.jpg

post-48053-143142168791_thumb.jpg

post-48053-143142168805_thumb.jpg

To my knowledge from observation of cars and advertising brochures;

The Roadmaster and Century had vinyl with squares on the out board seat backs

The Specials and Supers did not.

Generally speaking the four door cars have brocade.

This is not universally true however. I ave seen a two door roadmaster with brocade.

It would seem logical to conclude that brocade was intended for the four door. As it is a more formal car than the two door ( sport model)

Guest Rob McDonald
The first picture is the brocade on the back of the front seat.

I would be shocked if that brocade pattern is original to a '50s Buick. It's way too ornate for the period. Might have appeared in a late '70's Electra but really unlikely in 1955. The other gridded nylon cloth does look like the Fabulous Fifties but more like a sofa, not what you'd have found in a high-end Buick.

All that square-stamped vinyl does kind of hang together, style-wise, when you see how it was applied to various locations around the interior. The front door panel design is fabulous, by the way. Although it's not love at first sight, I think you'd appreciate a well-preserved original interior or one that's been authentically restored with original materials.

I see what you mean about there being no dependable examples in Google Images - nothing with door panels like yours. Clearly, the 2-door hardtops had a very different interior design from the 4-door sedans. I do think cloth and leather, in the original patterns, would be both comfortable and attractive - but I'm not the one about to spend $6000 to $8000 to make it happen. That's your tough decision.

I STAND CORRECTED, MAYBE. Have a look at this tired '55 Roady sedan that's on eBay right now - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1955-Buick-Roadmaster-Sedan-Great-Restoration-/251327779699?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3a844d9373#v4-37. Check out the interior photo. That looks an awful lot like the brocade that's on your seat backs and it's almost certainly original. No clue how that could ever harmonize with the checkered vinyl and leather.

You really, really need Bulldog's Color and Trim book to solve this puzzle.

Edited by Rob McDonald
eating my words (see edit history)

Rob, I had seen that car. I agree with you, it does look like it might be the same material. Also, what led me to think it is original to the car.... When the car was reupholstered, why would they put something other than the seat material on the seat backs. I figured, since that material is in such good shape, the then owner just left it to save some money.

I talked to the 4th owner, and sent him pictures of the car. He said it was how he got it in 1990, even the repaint.

Edited by Earl B.
spelling (see edit history)

Oldsfan, thank you very much for that link. That is exactly the material! I guess my Roady was one of the few with the brocade, possibly a special order. The interior code is 494 Blue/Silver/Ivory. I had wondered where the silver was, and it's in the material. Here they are side by side..

post-48053-143142169697_thumb.jpg

post-48053-143142169699_thumb.jpg

We've already seen the rear seat of this one. Here is the rest of the car. Appears to be original geometric pattern cloth. This cloth is also shown in the brochure being used in the Roadmaster sedan. Apparently geometric or brocade were available. Looks like the front waffle inserts in this one have been replaced. Shows waffle inserts in the seat backs. Maybe geometric pattern got that and brocade got cloth?

Does anyone know why the difference in the placement of the power window switches? Some are in line with the door handles, some are lower on the door.

:: 1955 Buick Roadmaster Riviera -

Guest Rob McDonald

So the mystery is solved, with enough evidence to hang the interior designer. In my worthless opinion, the geometric-patterned cloth goes far better with the waffled vinyl than does the foral brocade, which would like much better with plain leather. However, unless you delete all the waffle pattern from the door panels, it's going to look lost if it doesn't appear on the seats, too. Tough decision; glad I'm not making it. Or paying for it.

That black Roadmaster coupe is smashing, btw - except for that unfortunate interior!

Aaawwww Rob, I thought you were going to give me that for a Christmas present.. a whole new interior of my choosing..... I'm so broken hearted... hahhahha It'll happen one day.... just nooooo idea what day... and looking forward to seeing Bamabulldog's interior book online too so see what all the choices were....