Cord out and about nice weather Winchester Va.

trimacar

Had a friend who requested a ride in the Cord phaeton, said he'd had a ride in the late Billy Thompson (White Post) sedan, but never in an open Cord.

Put the top down for the first time in quite a while, one man job going down, 4 man job going up....

Great day and it fit the schedule, and weather was perfect. We had a nice outing and no need to call the tow truck! He and his friend were thankful....

My paint peeling, but solid and driving, early 1937 Cord standard phaeton in front of my house......

post-31482-143142145739_thumb.jpg

Amen on getting back to barn...but will say I had cell phone and empty car trailer in my driveway! Not that I didn't have faith, but every shift in an 810-812 Cord is a little gift from God!

Ken, hope you're adjusting to land legs instead of sea legs OK!

Thanks.. Let's see, patina...."Paint Absent, Top Isn't Nice, Automobile....."

Thanks!

I can't start any restoration because there's no place to stop once you start. I did work on transmission linkage, vacuum, and wiring, and has some new wiring to replace TWO wiring harnesses that were under dash....runs and drives well....have owned since the mid 80's.....

I like that. Mine won't see the road this year. Maybe next. I'm still trying to decide wether to rehab the rear wheel drive conversion or put it back to original so I can get it driveable for now. I have managed to collect some of the necessary parts and have a solid lead on most of the rest. Mine has about as much "Patina" as yours. The pair together would make a great photo if you lived a little closer. Looks like alot of fun as is.

You want Cord patina, patina mine's got! Owned since '51, my college car, and mostly a garage queen since the late '50's. It did come alive for the ACD Festival in Auburn marking the club's 50th anniversary, and somehow made it all the way through the parade in 2002..

On looking back, it seems incredible that I was able to keep it going on a shoestring while a struggling student. I did have a parts car, an immense help.

Shots show it while fooling around with '41 Studebaker skirts and window visors on it. (that's primer on the door bottoms, not rust)

I tell people I'm going to be buried in it, some believe me.

post-54604-143142146145_thumb.jpg

post-54604-143142146148_thumb.jpg

post-54604-14314214615_thumb.jpg

post-54604-143142146152_thumb.jpg

David

The problem with restoring that beautiful Cord is that once you're finished, then you just have another restored Cord. How many Cord phaetons can you see that look at drive as nicely as yours????

I believe your car turns more heads than a restored one, especially if you displayed it at an auto show. Would LOVE to see that car at Hershey.

I took it to the ACD festival in Auburn two years ago. There's a short parade through town, then the cars are parked around the town square. I parked mine next to a newly restored Cord, and another fresh restoration parked on the other side of my car.

Got out, and sitting in front of it noted that both of the other cars were losing coolant, and one owner opened his hood to see why car was hot. I said hi to him, then told him there was something wrong with my car too. "What?" He asked. Well, it must be out of coolant, 'cause it's not leaking.........

Luckily he had a sense of humor and smiled!

David, Yup, there she blows. It started out life as a '36 810. I am the 5th owner, I think. The car has an interesting past. Original owner was Col. Herb Gardner of Arlington, Va. I'm told he bought it on the west coast, and it being a left-over car at '36's end, it became an Auburn Automobile Company authorized re-numbered, re-identified Cord. (Shazam!, now it's a '37 812). Possibly the reason it didn't sell in '36 was because it was an Armchair Beverly, having fixed center armrests front and back. Not too practical. Somewhere along the line a fold-down armrest was installed in the front, maybe by the west coast dealer. and the rear center rest was quite neatly removed sometime too.

As the story goes, the old Colonel sought Capt. Kidd's buried treasure, purportedly hidden in diabolical wells and tunnels , some under water, at Oak Island in Nova Scotia, which he drove back and forth to in the Cord. Sadly, I never met the old Col., but I believe that while it was in his possession it was the first Cord I ever saw, when I was about 10. I did get to know his mechanic years later, who said that when he started a job the Col. had him disassemble everything, lay it all out, and go over all the parts with him before going forward. Once, when the transmission was overhauled, he insisted the car be driven around the block in reverse to prove everything was ok.

I got it in '51 with a bad low gear by trading a '40 Roadmaster sedan that I'd put together from 2 wrecks.

It's been a long time, I think I got all the names and places correct, but then....

Edited by Dave Henderson (see edit history)

As the story goes, the old Colonel sought Capt. Kidd's buried treasure, purportedly hidden in diabolical wells and tunnels , some under water, at Oak Island in Nova Scotia, which he drove back and forth to in the Cord.

How very interesting! I have long been fascinated with Oak Island and even attempted to do a documentary updating the search about 10-years ago but the main site had recently changed hands at that time and the new owners were not willing to grant access. Love that association with your car.

David,

Great to see a fun car out for a nice drive with people who appreciate it for what it is.

A good day, a good car, and a good deed....

btw, took Charles K for a drive in the '14 Buick, and drove thru the Cenacle Retreat house grounds

post-54863-143142148073_thumb.jpg

Cool, your Buick looks great! Buicks then, and through the years, are some of the best driving cars out there........and as you know, Marty, I've driven quite a few cars over the years, even some that ended up in your hands!......