Parts cleaner

alfourfire

What is the preferred liquid to use in a parts cleaner? I have used Purple Power degreaser with some success but have been told acetone or even kerosene is better. This is in a home garage so I don't want something too volatile in there. Odor, of course, is another problem although there is a cover on the tank. It is a 40 gal. tank so I dont want to spend hundreds of dollars on a solvent either. Is there a middle of the road substance that works OK?

Thanks, Rick

Tractor Supply sells a petroleum distillate parts washing fluid. $42 for a 5 gal pail. I just bought some. Very low odor, high flash point and works very well. You won't find much that's less expensive unless you want to use kerosene or some such...............Bob

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have plumbed in the fittings as needed. This is temporary to see if the pump will work through the filter. It does. I took the wand from the outlet of the pump and put the filter in between the pump and the outlet. I used 1/4 compression X 3/8 male and 1/4 comp X 1/4 male and 1/4 comp X 1/4 female adapters. The filter has a large hose clamp around a hook for now. Pressure is reduced a little, but still fine. I will post more when it is permanent.post-74126-143142215504_thumb.jpg

post-74126-143142215432_thumb.jpg

post-74126-143142215448_thumb.jpg

post-74126-143142215462_thumb.jpg

post-74126-143142215476_thumb.jpg

post-74126-14314221549_thumb.jpg

Guest QGolden

I have the same parts washer, (HF?) no filter, but it is a good idea. I use Kerosene as well. Works good, although I need to throttle back the flow from the pump. It has too much pressure and splashes about when you take the hose off to the brush and just want a rinse flow.

Guest QGolden

When new from HF there was a fiber filter at the pump inlet, but they don't seem to carry replacements, I like the Scotch Brite idea.