1935 noise

Guest asb9606

Guest asb9606

Hi all I need a little help with my 1935 dodge B.C. I have a noise that sounds like a Tappet or lifter but it is not coming from the motor. it is coming from the clutch bell housing or trans.Have listened to it with an electronic listening device and it is not coming from the engine. Any ideas before I pull the trans and clutch?

Is the pinion gear on the starter motor fully retracting?

At one point the actuating levers on my '33 got gummed up and the return spring was not strong enough to pull the gear back all the way, result was a ticking noise as the pinion gear and the ring gear on the flywheel occasionally touched. Cleaned things up and its been good for a lot of years now.

ply33 may be on the right track. Sometimes a starter bolt is missing it's lockwasher or the starter bolts have different lengths, whereas, one may be going into the housing too far and hitting the flywheel. I've seen this scenario before on a Ford. Also, I've seen fasteners and broken pieces in the bottom of the flywheel housing, hitting flywheel as it turns. There are certain tricks to retrieve these pieces if you need to do so. Sometimes a telescoping magnet tool will not work. there are other ways.

Guest asb9606

Hi thanks for your input checked out starter does not seem to be the problem. The rub is the noise has stopped ?? I guess I will have to wait till it comes back or something breaks?? Just like going to the doctor it always stops hurting when your in his office. Thanks again ASB 9606 = Angelo

When I read your question I was thinking the exact same thing that "ply33" offered. My instance was just yesterday! I heard this noise from the bell housing area directly after the starter stopped. I knew it was that the gears did not fully un-mesh. Could tell by the sound. The starter's push arm return spring may be weak or possibly even broken. Or the mechanism may be slightly bent or gummed up. When you stop pushing the starter floor button, this mechanism must fully release.

So, I suppose it is now possible that what ever was holding up the starter mechanism may have released. All in all the reason for the noise could be hard to pin down.