Let's have another poll by Mosty

I can't figure out how to post it.

Being an old codger, I don't like Electronic Stability Control either! The first time it kicked in while making an emergency swerve and recovery the old fashioned way, it almost rolled the car. (2010 Sebring Touring). Have you ever had it kick in during an emergency maneuver. Have you thought it helped?. Are you an old codger like me? Has it scared the heck out of you?

I am going back to pre everything cars. The TC's and my other turbo cars don't need emissions anymore. They have never flunked by the way since emissions test came into being. I don't like the drive by wire or accelerate by wire. Sure they work on jet planes and fighters. They get inspection and complete overhauls every so many hours of operation. They also have more expensive components inside them.

Princess Diana died in a Mercedes with variable ratio steering for parking a BIG car in a tight spot. I have seen one of those systems fail. I still have the picture in my mind of that car going at a right angle to the traffic at 70 mph. The driver was on the passenger side of the car hanging onto the steering wheel. The front wheels were turned at 45 degrees. When the insurance man for the driver called me I told him that it was not the driver's fault because something had obviously failed when he tried to avoid a car that swung into his lane.

Now if somebody comes up with a device to stop a car when a cell phone is detected inside a car, I WILL endorse that. I just saw a woman make a left turn into oncoming traffic yesterday. Both cars stopped just inches from each other. Yes there was a cell phone next to her ear!

I will now shut up for a while. Thanks for not yelling at me.

I pretty much agree with you. When I bought my TC the one thing I didn't feel comfortable with was that it had ABS. Everything that I've driven, that had ABS, the feel of the brake pedal was never good. Although I must admit that the brakes on my TC feel more like the standard brake system, good. But, if I shood have problems with the ABS, it will be a big deal, compared to the standard brake syatem to correct.

I pretty much agree with you. When I bought my TC the one thing I didn't feel comfortable with was that it had ABS. Everything that I've driven, that had ABS, the feel of the brake pedal was never good. Although I must admit that the brakes on my TC feel more like the standard brake system, good. But, if I shood have problems with the ABS, it will be a big deal, compared to the standard brake syatem to correct.

Actually, I love ABS. Admittedly, I was a career pilot and it was easy to calculate for us - 9 times the square root of the tire pressure. Airplane tire pressures are much higher than cars, so the hydroplane speed was too. For instance, a typical tire pressure of 200 psi yielded about 110 knots (you have to convert mph to knots). At a touchdown speed of 125 knots (or more), you can expect hydroplaning about 5 seconds after landing. That's an exciting ride if the ABS is out (we called it anti-skid).

Cars are different because you can't account for different brands and styles of tires. You also can't account for the varied road conditions (runways & airplane tires are pretty much the same). However, you can expect hydroplaning in a car between 59 and 40 miles per hour. Common speeds for most cars. Most drivers have probably been in dozens of hydroplane slides, they just didn't know it. It's a good system.

John

Guest My TC Toy

Gees Bill, what's wrong with using a cell phone while driving? You know that a woman (I'm going to get letters) has to use the phone. By the way, I do NOT believe that hands free devices are any improvement. If a person is on the phone while driving, their full attention is on the conversation and not the driving, most of the time, especially if the person is having an argument. There should be a lock-out in the car that will not allow a transmission to move from 'park' if a cell is detected. If you need to use the phone, and just what the hell is so important that you need to do it while driving, pull over, place in park and talk away to your hearts content (btw Heart's Content is in Trinity Bay, Newfoundland right next to Heart's Delight and Heart's Desire). Your conversation about a new pair of shoes or having beans for supper can wait. As far as ABS and other safety systems are concerned, bring it on, the more the better The more safety that is built into cars the better off we will all be. Sure, we did without them for 100 years, but look at the statistics. Most people cannot adhere to the speed limits, stop at stop signs or red lights, they need to make all new cars idiot proof for the idiots that are driving today.

Edited by My TC Toy
add info (see edit history)