Major lighting issues! Please Help!

Guest Riviera1963

Guest Riviera1963

Ok, so it all started when I noticed I wasn't getting any tail lights or dome lights, everything else, brake lights included, worked. I thought it had something to do with my headlight switch because tail lights come on with the headlamps and parking lamps. (this was my first mistake)

So I took my headlamp switch out and saw that everything on the inside was all corroded and what not. So I cleaned off all the contact points and removed as much corrosion as I could. I thought this would solve my issue. Now I have lost my brake lights and front/rear turn signals and my tail lights are still not working. I used my test light to check all the wiring and found that at the switch, only the parking lamps and headlamps are getting power.

I used a hot wire to check all possible currents running through my headlamp switch, and they all work as they should, so I now know that my headlamp switch is fine.

I have replaced all my bulbs and fuses, so I know that is not an issue, and I am getting power to my fuse box, as all fuse slots are working right. I know that there are two wires that are supposed to come from the fuse box to the headlamp switch, but they are not receiving power.

I guess my question is...what the heck is going on? Is it a grounding issue? What caused my brake lamps and turn signals to go out?

Your description of the work/troubleshooting performed is a little confusing but if it helps the turn signal flasher and brake light switch are both fused thru the same fuse, should be marked "dir sign". The brake lights and signals also have the turn signal switch in common but be careful assuming both issues are related...they may not be. Best to troubleshoot each issue separately.

Do you have a wiring diagram???

Tom Mooney

Guest Riviera1963

I do have a wiring diagram, but I did not know that the brake lights and turn signals operate out of the same fuse, I will double check that fuse just to be sure.

What about the tail lights?

Havnt looked at a schematic for awhile but I recall the tailight circuit voltage originates at the taillight fuse, travels to and thru the headlight switch back to the taillights. Check the taillight fuse, for voltage at the headlight switch if still accessible. At this point you can choose to check the circuit starting in the front or from the back. I would look for accessible connectors like one in the trunk or where the traditional wiring harness from the under dash area connects into the flat ribbon harness which travels under the carpeting...that connector should be in the driver`s footwell. Good luck,

Tom Mooney