Help with info on putting 16 inck ford wire wheels on a stock model a tudor.

Guest rdmercer

Guest rdmercer

What 16" Ford wire wheels will bolt onto my stock 1929 model a? Are modifications required? I want to leave the stock running gear except for possibly a 4" dropped front axle and probably juice brakes. Any help would be appreciated. For any purists who are cringing,

I plan to keep all stock parts so the car could be returned to stock condition. I want the stance of a hot rod while not really changing the cars originality.

Thanks, Craig

Guest rdmercer
Just bolt them on. All of the Ford wire wheels will interchange. The later, solid wheels require a spacer

Thanks, for reference do you know if anyone sells spacers for the solid wheels? Now I am on the hunt for 16" wires. Someone told me 1936 & 1937 wires would not work. Something about the centers?

Again thanks,

Craig

Guest rdmercer
There are no 36/37 wires. 35 was the last year. 36/39 are "wide fives" and will not work on A drums

Just the info I needed! Your help to this novice in this area is appreciated. I have always loved old cars and had a few but vintage motorcycles has always been my main interest. I have owned this 1929 model A tudor for a few years but have never liked the 21"

wheels or the stance. I recently saw a picture of a stock A with the 16" wheels and a dropped axle and I loved it's stance. They said they were 1936 wires and you are not the first to say 36 wouldn't fit but you are the first to tell the rest of the story(no wires after 35). Just did not want to buy something and find out it would not fit. So again, thank you so much for setting it straight. Car is just too nice to turn into a rod. I have read that there are things I can do to make the old 4 cyl.perform better(12v system, newer distributor,water pump,etc). If you have thoughts or opinions on any of that feel free to share(even if you disagree). I'm a big boy , I can take it. I just appreciate hearing about it from more experienced car guys. Not sure where you are but Aug 29-31 the largest antique motorcycle meet in the world will be held in Davenport, Iowa at the fairgrounds. Careful though...it is a life altering event!

Craig

12 volts won't make it run better or more reliably. Model A s have waterpumps, so I don't understand the performance angle. An updated distributor can't hurt, but the old ones worked pretty well when they're in good shape and dialed in.

I sold off all of my Cushmans, one Whizzer and my Mustang a while back. Love old bikes, but Davenport is just a tad too far. It is on my long bucket list

Guest rdmercer
12 volts won't make it run better or more reliably. Model A s have waterpumps, so I don't understand the performance angle. An updated distributor can't hurt, but the old ones worked pretty well when they're in good shape and dialed in.

I sold off all of my Cushmans, one Whizzer and my Mustang a while back. Love old bikes, but Davenport is just a tad too far. It is on my long bucket list

The water pump deal was the originals seem to always leak and I know a guy that put a new version on and loves it. I have purchased the packing to fix mine but the other option sounds a little more permanent. If I don't need 12v then heck with it. Can't imagine a lot of nigh time driving. My old Pans and Knuckle are 6v and work fine...just a little weak on the lighting.

Sat. I purchased 6 1935 ford 16" wheels for $100. Seemed like a great deal to me. He had 8 and let me pick out the best ones. Tried to get all 8 but he wanted to keep 2 for yard art! I put one on the A and seemed to fit fine...although I did just read in a mag "wire wheels from 35 ford used with spacers from David Wilton to position correctly". Wondered what that was about?

Craig

Guest rdmercer
I have heard you need spacers, Something about the inside of the hub around the lug holes are square and they aren't perfectly flush with the face of the drums but millions of As have been running the 16" wheels all through the years.

In my research I have found that if you use 40 ford brakes(or newer) that is when you need the spacer which can be purchased for $20 ea. from MT products. They sell the brake kit(juice) but it is quite expensive(but real nice).

Thanks for your response,

Craig