High Desert

My father's first car, 1957 Roadmaster Convertible, makes it to my worshop finally!

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, buick man said:

 

 

Gee ... You mean you can use these simple tools and do it this way ? .....

 

957793701_M.B.Rbld1.thumb.JPG.fca56d45555c5fdee2c43a1830aa3c2f.JPG

 

 

Nice!

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

 

I am not an expert BUT I would say tire purchase at this time is premature.  Consider that the tires may be several years old by the time you first get to use them.  Keeping the car static on any tires may result in flat spots, and the tires will continue to deteriorate from the moment they are cast. 

 

That plus the description seems to indicate that these are perfect for '30's - '40's cars.  The wide white may be too wide for a '57.  I bought 2 1/2 " wide whites for my '56 and once mounted they looked just right to me.  Remember, the bead of the rim will cover up the inside 1/4 inch of the wide white. 

 

Factory Promo Ad from Fall 1956 and tire white wall width :

 

2011721212_FactoryPromoAdcorrectwhitewalltires.thumb.png.192707902aa98bf2c8a338309172b2ec.png

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have to loosen and move out of the way ( 2 simple screws ) the shift selector gizmo mounted at the base of the steering column at the floor so you can get the wide mouth lock jaw vise into position. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was the only way I got the one off the parts car this Spring...looks terrible, but it worked!  On the outside, I used the same strap wrench buick man posted.  In the past, others were easier to hold on the inside, but this one was extra crusty.

 

I have used the chisel trick before, too.

3DE85B91-6A39-48E1-B428-023851DF9F38.thumb.jpeg.64eb95e549b654eb34ee6d8e5932ce68.jpeg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It took an aggressive combination of sandblasting, electrolysis, wire wheel, and welder this weekend but I made it halfway there.

Two of the rims are fully cleaned and painted tonight. These two were in the worst shape rust-wise and I patched over the valve stem holes. I'll drill new holes elsewhere along the rim.

Keep in mind everyone that the goal is to get it driving. I'll likely replace these rims in the future.

20191006_175045.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, High Desert said:

It took an aggressive combination of sandblasting, electrolysis, wire wheel, and welder this weekend but I made it halfway there.

Two of the rims are fully cleaned and painted tonight. These two were in the worst shape rust-wise and I patched over the valve stem holes. I'll drill new holes elsewhere along the rim.

Keep in mind everyone that the goal is to get it driving. I'll likely replace these rims in the future.

20191006_175045.jpg

 

Those centers look good Don.  How is the bead on them?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you want to watch for rotted metal in the beads.  I have had two rims split, at the beads, when driving over rough railroad intersections. 

 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Holy moly! That had to have been terrifying. I'm unsure how a car would react in that situation.

 

Nothing looks that rotted, they just aren't nice enough to want to keep when I eventually move beyond the "get it roadworthy" stage.

 

The tires came in today and I'll be doing what I can in the evenings to get the other two rims cleaned up and painted.

 

The tires are perfect! Once I put the sweepspear back to its original green the rims and sweepspear will tie well together.

 

 

20191007_132604.jpg

20191007_132846.jpg

Edited by High Desert
Spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, High Desert said:

Holy moly! That had to have been terrifying. I'm unsure how a car would react in that situation.

 

Nothing looks that rotted, they just aren't nice enough to want to keep when I eventually move beyond the "get it roadworthy" stage.

 

The tires came in today and I'll be doing what I can in the evenings to get the other two rims cleaned up and painted.

 

The tires are perfect! Once I put the sweepspear back to its original green the rims and sweepspear will tie well together.

 

 

20191007_132604.jpg

20191007_132846.jpg

Nice!  What size whitewall did you go with? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lancemb said:

Nice!  What size whitewall did you go with? 

These are the 2.5". They were the closest I could find to matching the old Firestone that was on the car. They were the exact tires that old-tank recommended.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, High Desert said:

Holy moly! That had to have been terrifying. I'm unsure how a car would react in that situation.

 

In neither instance did I end up with an immediate flat.  I am the one guy everyone gets mad at because I stop at rail road crossings, so I wasn't going fast when it happened.  In both instances I was actually able to drive the two miles home without damaging tires.  Not sure I would have wanted to go much further than that though.  That's why I spent the $$ and had Stockton Wheel make up a set of new rims for my car. They sourced used centers and welded on new 6" wide rims.  Came to me already stripped and ready for paint.  I think it was one of the best investments I made in the Super!   

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

I think it was one of the best investments I made in the Super!   

 

I had no idea it was even an option! I may have to go that route later.

 

I got the front tire mounted and bolted up after work. 

 

The excitement is building!

20191007_181622.jpg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The other two wheels were mounted today. The brakes are adjusted. It is standing on its own.

 

 

20191012_144513.jpg

20191012_153652.jpg

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a great looking car. I have a Buick that's been in the family since new as well (1962). 

 

I noticed you put a (much) darker green on the rims. Is that the color you going to use on the body? Or are you adding a third color? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, drhach said:

That's a great looking car. I have a Buick that's been in the family since new as well (1962). 

 

I noticed you put a (much) darker green on the rims. Is that the color you going to use on the body? Or are you adding a third color? 

Thanks! Having cars like ours can be both a blessing and a curse. They are so special because of the family connection but also a responsibility to maintain and keep in honor of that connection.

The green on the rims photographs much darker than it should. It is a close match to the dark green in the sweepspear trim. It isn't perfect but I'm focusing hard on merely getting the car roadworthy at this point. 

I'll make friends with the correct-police later.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The exhaust system came in today. It sure looks nice but we'll see how it fits up over the next several weeks.

 

20191021_182853.jpg

Edited by High Desert
Punctuation (see edit history)
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, High Desert said:

The exhaust system came in today. It sure looks nice but we'll see how it fits up over the next several weeks.

 

Very nice.  Is it stainless? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lancemb said:

Very nice.  Is it stainless? 

No just aluminized. It won't be a daily driver and I read that the stainless systems can have a higher pitch than oem style systems. It did take me a while to make the decision though.

Edited by High Desert
Spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, High Desert said:

The exhaust system came in today. It sure looks nice but we'll see how it fits up over the next several weeks.

 

20191021_182853.jpg

 

Are the tail pipes missing their 2nd clamps?  

or are they wrapped up in the shrink wrap with the other clamps?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

 

Are the tail pipes missing their 2nd clamps?  

or are they wrapped up in the shrink wrap with the other clamps?

 

 

 

Tile pipes appear welded. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

 

Are the tail pipes missing their 2nd clamps?  

or are they wrapped up in the shrink wrap with the other clamps?

 

 

They are wrapped together.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dad and I got the exhaust system installed. It was an extremely good fit, with the only concern being that we seem too have two of the passenger side resonators. Notice how the driver side bends into the bumper instead of out. I've contacted the vendor who said they only have one part number for resonators and asked for photos. I sent them a bunch of photos of the installed system as well as multiple exhaust system schematics (pulled from other threads here) showing that the left and right sides should be different parts. 

They've been good to work with though and I have time to spare, so maybe my efforts will help square them away for future sales to other old Buick fans. 

20191111_123649.jpg

20191103_180327.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, High Desert said:

Dad and I got the exhaust system installed. It was an extremely good fit, with the only concern being that we seem too have two of the passenger side resonators. Notice how the driver side bends into the bumper instead of out. I've contacted the vendor who said they only have one part number for resonators and asked for photos. I sent them a bunch of photos of the installed system as well as multiple exhaust system schematics (pulled from other threads here) showing that the left and right sides should be different parts. 

They've been good to work with though and I have time to spare, so maybe my efforts will help square them away for future sales to other old Buick fans. 

 

You are correct.  The originals bent inward on each side, about the last 2" maybe 15 degrees.  Some of the old aftermarket ones were manufactured as only one part number, with just a straight pipe in the rear.  But, if you put the bend in, it's really goofy to have both sides the same.  Thanks for your efforts in correcting them; I'll know to ask about this if I order a set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two things. First it appears the gas tank should be in place before tightening the left side pipes.

Second, and this is more of a question, should that panhard bar be bent like that?

I only mention these cause both could affect the placement of the pipes, and thus the alignment of the resonators.

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now