Sign in to follow this  
atomickneedrop

64 heater only vacuum diagram help

Hey All,

I am in the process of rebuilding a 64 and would like to convert my heater/ac unit to heater only. I have the control unit from a heater only car but can't find a vacuum diagram. I am looking for something like what is on page 11-79 but for a heater only car. My 64 chassis manual doesn't seem to have the info. The car had a bad heater core so I had the center console out to replace that. Since I had the console out I figure I should remove the dash to fix the cracks which led to fixing the leak in the back window. Some how a wood trim kit ended up in the mix. The torn drivers seat didn't go well with the nice wood so that is in the works as well. I am rapidly running out of summer and will need the defrost by the time I get the car back together.

Thanks for the wealth of info in the forum. I will get a build post together with pictures once I get the thing put back together.

Cheers

Kraig

I don't know the '64s like I know the '63, but I think there are no vacuum hoses on a heater-only car's control system. I think it is all controlled by the fan switch and the various cables. Consider that.

Kraig,

I have a good working single-stage diaphragm from a '64 Riv without AC. This was the unit that operated the damper door near the fan motor housing in the engine compartment. Let me know if this is what you need.

Hi Jim,

The 64 uses vacuum to control the air flow doors similar to 65. When I removed the A/C console unit it had two "blocks" where vacuum was distributed. One has 5 ports the other 4 ports. On the heater only style control unit it used 5 ports. I couldn't find a diagram for which port controls which diaphragm. I can use trial and error as there are only 5 ports and one is the incoming from the vacuum can.

I was trying to same some time as some one here has been there, done that.

Kraig