Decoding Ford Data Plates from 1950s and 1960s - Help Please

Kimo

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum. I really enjoy looking at and admiring vintage cars of the 1950 and 1960, and also older ones. While I do not currently have one anymore, I am sure I will have another in the near future. One of my side hobbies is that I pick up old data plates at swap meets and such. Of course I would never take on off of a car or even a carcass that might one day be restored, but when I see one orphaned and all by itself I will often buy it when the price is low. I currently have 5 old Ford data plates that I think are from the 1950s and 1960s or maybe even 1970s and I have been searching around the internet for decoding information. While there seems to be a few bits of decoding information here and there on a very few specific models, I cannot find a place to look up what I have to identify the models and years and colors and such from the data on the plates. Can anyone here please point me to a website where this information is available, or if not can anyone please help me figure out what these 5 plates came off of? Thanks in advance for any information you can provide. Here is the information from the these 5 data plates - I have xx-ed out the last two digits of the serial numbers on each. First plate: Body 70B, Color G, Trim E, Production code: 8C 1207P Serial number: #U5EG1460xx# Second plate: Body 62B, Color M, Trim 62, Date 14L, Axle 5, Trans 1, Serial number 2F41U1o89xx Third plate: Body 59A, Color T, Trim AB, Date 07 F, Trans 3, Axle 4, Serial number C7CR1496xx Fourth plate: Body 64A, Color M, Trim 42, Date 13B, Trans 3, Axle J, Serial number 1T11U1705xx Fifth plate: Body 63C, Color K, Trim 86, Date 22L, Axle 5, Trans 5, Serial number 4E68Z1497xx Again, thank you very much for any help you might provide. I am eager to learn.

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum. I really enjoy looking at and admiring vintage cars of the 1950 and 1960, and also older ones. While I do not currently have one anymore, I am sure I will have another in the near future. One of my side hobbies is that I pick up old data plates at swap meets and such. Of course I would never take on off of a car or even a carcass that might one day be restored, but when I see one orphaned and all by itself I will often buy it when the price is low. I currently have 5 old Ford data plates that I think are from the 1950s and 1960s or maybe even 1970s and I have been searching around the internet for decoding information. While there seems to be a few bits of decoding information here and there on a very few specific models, I cannot find a place to look up what I have to identify the models and years and colors and such from the data on the plates. Can anyone here please point me to a website where this information is available, or if not can anyone please help me figure out what these 5 plates came off of? Thanks in advance for any information you can provide. Here is the information from the these 5 data plates - I have xx-ed out the last two digits of the serial numbers on each. First plate: Body 70B, Color G, Trim E, Production code: 8C 1207P Serial number: #U5EG1460xx# Second plate: Body 62B, Color M, Trim 62, Date 14L, Axle 5, Trans 1, Serial number 2F41U1o89xx Third plate: Body 59A, Color T, Trim AB, Date 07 F, Trans 3, Axle 4, Serial number C7CR1496xx Fourth plate: Body 64A, Color M, Trim 42, Date 13B, Trans 3, Axle J, Serial number 1T11U1705xx Fifth plate: Body 63C, Color K, Trim 86, Date 22L, Axle 5, Trans 5, Serial number 4E68Z1497xx Again, thank you very much for any help you might provide. I am eager to learn.

Does the lack of response mean that information on decoding Ford data plates from the 1950s and 1960s not exist on the web, or perhaps not at all?

I want to thank you very much for these links, but I think that maybe I am not using them correctly as my data plate numbers do not seem to line up with any of the choices, or in some cases there are so many choices that I do not know which ones are the correct ones. Could someone please look at one or two of the sets of numbers from my data plates I have provided in my original posting and using one of these linked pages come up with a decoding so I can see how to do it? Maybe I am just not seeing things right. Thank you for your kindness in helping me. Kimo

Guest Commodore

OK, the first data plate decodes as follows: Serial Number U5EG1460xx

U = 272 CID V8 2-V Carb Standard or Auto

5 = 1955

E = Mahwah Assembly Plant

G = Body Style Code: 4-door/2-door Mainline and Customline

1460xx = Consecutive Unit Number

Body 70B, Color G, Trim E, Production code: 8C 1207P

Body Code 70B = Customline Tudor Sedan

Second Plate Serial Number 2F41U1o89xx

2 = 1962

F = Dearborn Assembly Plant

41 = Fairlane 500 2 dr. Club Sedan

U = 170 CID 6 cyl

1o89xx = Consecutive Unit Number

Guest Commodore

I have found a website will decode 1960 - 1975 Ford Body Plates. The Body Plate has the information like Body 62B, Color M, Trim 62, Date 14L, Axle 5, Trans 1.

1965 Ford Body Plate Data

Body 62B = Fairlane 500 Club Sedan

Color M = Corinthian White

Trim 62 = Blue

Date 14L = 14th of November

Axle 5 = 3.50:1

Trans 1 = 3 Sp. Manual

Thanks! I see that one of these is from what might be considered to be a muscle car? The fifth is from a 1964 Ford Galaxy 500XL 2 door fastback with a 390HP V-8 with a 4 barrel carburetor. It was painted Silver Smoke Grey with a black interior. I wish I had the car to go with the plate.