YANKEE CHAPTER SHOW AT WALLINGFORD BUICK SUNDAY, AUG.18

jscheib

John, I am trying to figure out a way to get there by bypassing most of the major highways without taking me two hours one way. Any suggestions? Thanks

Dennis

John..I think you might of left off a "0"...more like one hundred Buicks....a very good representation of Riviera's, I might add.

Made it out today. We got a late start and got there just before noon. Was car 86 on the way in and saw a lot more come in after me. I only got one on the road picture mainly due to the congestion on the highways and the speed we were traveling trying to make up time. It wasn't a pretty day anyway, with clouds and grey overcast conditions. But the cars were stupendous! So many top notch cars and no real time to do them justice in pictures. I managed a few shots and will post them here. But these are not your ordinary pics as you'll see.

Let me start with this little gem. Some probably passed right by this car, but I found it very interesting:

tn_img_4981_original.jpg

Sitting in the modified class this fellow was sitting by himself on the hill just waiting for someone to take a look at his creation. Here's why I stopped to chat with him. Yes, that's a supercharged 3800:

tn_img_4982_original.jpg

And yes, that's a GM 5 speed stick shift:

tn_img_4983_original.jpg

And even the dash is complete:

tn_img_4984_original.jpg

This is a car I would have loved to drive. And this guy was as proud of his toy as anyone else on the field. I congratulated him on having what was possibly one of the most unique Buicks ever concieved.

I'll post a few more pics tomorrow. It's been a long drive today

That is interesting...but what the heck is it? I don't know my later year B's well enough to know. Is that an original 5 speed set up? The supercharger looks added. I bet that thing could just about keep up with Morning Glory.;) Did y'all invite the guy to here and to post it in the Performance and Modified forum. I want to see that forum grow. OK, break times over JD, let's see more pics!!!

Ut-oh, I forgot to get the year of production but I believe its an 87 Century with the optional ( and rarely seen) T package. The outside is stock, and it came with a 3.8 V6, which is a good engine but not like the 3800, and automatic trans. At any rate this car is now a combination Pontiac SSE supercharged 3800 mated to a Beretta gt 5 speed. And, as most who have driven a last generation supercharged Riviera know, yes, I believe this little devil is more than adequate on any drag strip. But back to the pictures...

Not to bellittle this car at all but I just want to get the Best of Show car in all it's deserved glory on here

This car needs no introduction:

tn_img_4997_original.jpg

tn_img_4996_original.jpg

tn_img_4995_original.jpg

tn_img_4993_original.jpg

tn_img_5027_original.jpg

And all I can add is that regardless of it's beauty and famed durability, I seriously doubt you will ever see this car on the road in a little town square.

For this next mini series I would like to start with a question: What happened in 1953 in Connecticut? Hope someone knows because besides a Michigan National, how many times do you see this:

tn_img_4992_original.jpg

tn_img_4987_original.jpg

Lite Green Super's interior:

tn_img_4985_original.jpg

Red Wagon's interior:

tn_img_4988_original.jpg

Red Roadmaster's Interior:

tn_img_4989_original.jpg

But these were not the only 53's in attendance. Not pictured was Kirvens 53 Skylark, nor three other 53's. But I did get this one:

tn_img_4991_original.jpg

It certainly made for a SUPER day.

x

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)

You can probably sense a trend here. Lavish and loaded does it for me.

But there is an outside to em, and the last interior above belonged to this fantastic car owned by Bryan and Lin Kendall, which I might add , was unbelievably shut out of the award parade:

tn_img_5006_original.jpg

tn_img_5032_original.jpg

Wish I had gotten more pictures of that one!

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)

After the Riviera/wildcat sensory overload I just had to have a picture of this:

tn_img_5013_original.jpg

tn_img_5013_original.jpg

I have to describe the rest as I have no other pictures of it,, maybe some one else does.

It's a 63 Special wagon, Made in California, with an original price of 2,600 I believe, and punped up with 1,600 in options, as shown on the copy of the otiginal window sticker.

It is in grey and black primer and as yet un restored, but the owner has a fully restored 63 Skylark Convertible and a 63 Skylark two door and plans to restore this car as well.

By now you may have noticed an absence of "A" body cars. Just so you don't feel left out folks, here is a picture of them :tn_img_5035_original.jpg

I didn't even get over there before it was over, except for this one, which takes me back to younger days:

tn_img_5003_original.jpg

tn_img_4999_original.jpg

Sporting this:

tn_img_5000_original.jpg

Ahhhhhhh! Memories of a certain white one, with white bucket seat interior anf factory A/C and AM/FM..... which will never roam the roads again...

Oh well, Thats it from this reporter. Hope you enjoyed my version of the show.

And a GREAT JOB by the entire Yankee Chapter Team... THANKS!!!!

x

John, As always, your photos, descriptions and personal comments are well done and greatly appreciated, especially by a staff that is recovering from the work. I should be able to get some "official" results of the awards in a few days. John

Looks like a lot of nice cars there. Maybe I can get my '71 LeSabre to the point of feeling comfortable taking it on a 450 mile round trip jaunt next year. The third weekend in August is always my Rotary Club's Lobster & Steak Fest; I'd have to skip that to come and would probably feel guilty about it - at least initially!

I had one just like this one except it was beige with brown/ saddle interior. It even had the factory installed air conditioning like the one in the picture. Also had the aluminum V-8.

After the Riviera/wildcat sensory overload I just had to have a picture of this:

tn_img_5013_original.jpg

tn_img_5013_original.jpg

I have to describe the rest as I have no other pictures of it,, maybe some one else does.

It's a 63 Special wagon, Made in California, with an original price of 2,600 I believe, and punped up with 1,600 in options, as shown on the copy of the otiginal window sticker.

It is in grey and black primer and as yet un restored, but the owner has a fully restored 63 Skylark Convertible and a 63 Skylark two door and plans to restore this car as well.