Sign in to follow this  
lasi2

right front turn signal problem

I have a 1991 buick reatta that the front right turn signal will not light. The bulb is good the relay is not the problem as i switched the left realy, which worksm, to the the right one and it doesnt fix the problem, i placed the right relay in the spot for the left and turned on the left signal and the relay starts to click.The back right signal lights so i dont think its the flasher. I checked the resistor thats mounted front and i get 4ohms from left to mid, 4.4 right to mid, and 8.4 across left to right. Also, when the headlights are on the right turn signal light lights up like the left on does before the turnsignal lever is pushed on, but when the right turn signal is then turned on the light goes out and doesn't flash and the left one works fine. the problem is also the same when the Hazard light is depressed. The repair manual seems to be directing me in circles, so if anybody has any ideas and would be willing to offer advice i would be most appreciated.

Benefits of AACA Membership.

Does the green light flash on the IPC when the right turn signal is activated?

Do you have a DVM or test light?

Flasher module is OK. Problem is with the relay or the wire from the flasher to it.

If swapping relays didn't do anything, I think you may have a problem on the backside of the underhood relay center board.

When headlights are on and you turn on the right turn signal does the running light flash on and off, or does it stay off until turn signal is turned back off.

Signal from the flasher operates both the relay and powers the light. If the running light flashes off when the turn signal is on, then the relay is seeing the signal from the flasher. So problem is either with the relay, or the socket it's plugged into.

Thanks for your help. upon tracing the wires to the relay box i discovered that some sort of small animal chewed thew thewires there were other wires damaged to once i replaced them the lights worked again

When you get done, check your radiator fans are working correctly. The wires for them and the headlight motor controller run in that area too. You'd notice if your headlights don't come up, but you might not catch a fan problem till your overheating going down the road. Check the horns honk too.