A lead on 1936 Packard 8 phaeton #1 off the line? Kemptown MD auction aug 24 NOT MINE

Guest Henry White

Guest Henry White

On auctionzip .com there is what I believe is a rare body style, a 1936 Packard 8 touring car or phaeton to be sold at auction august 24 in Kemptown MD. It seems to be claiming the car is #1 off the assembly line, #201

It looks like a very decent original. I just thought I would pass it along. I apologize if this is not to be posted here. I am not sure about such leads.

Guest Henry White

Thank you. I dont think this computer will do links.

I love that touring car style, and IMO the car seems to be in good shape for a (presumably) unrestored 1936.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Henry White

This car is set to sell saturday. Anyone have any ballpark estimates on what it may bring? I expect it to top $10K, so I cant afford it. Looks like they may have a few old car parts in my price range. I cant quit this stuff,,,,,,,,,,

Guest Henry White

I hope to attend the sale. I will try to make note of what it sells for. I'm not surprised it's over $10K, a lil surprised it may top $50K though. I really dont know the market on this. Just needs two serious bidders. But things sell very cheap around here it seems.

Guest Henry White

I just got back from the pre sale inspection. There was a few guys looking it over and talking on the cell phones. Nobody would give me any real estimate what it would bring, but one fella said he wouldnt let it go too cheap. I could pay far more than $10K, but I'm not sure it will fit in my garage, and the car is too nice to sit out more than one night. I'm sure those guys can outbid me with ease, so not much point in me trying. Of course, I would kick myself if it sold for $25K. I could pay more, but I would need to sell it quickly.

Someone said it had five stuck valves, but they are "all working now" They said they had it running. Small dent in LF fender, overall a decent car. Last tagged in 1971, until recently, last run in 82 IIRC. Seats and top are nice IMO.

I saw some ( 10 -15 ) early screw on hubcaps for some orphans ( Viking? ), also caddy, Buick, others. Now I cant recall what they were.

I would love to have that cast iron RR crossing sign, it will bring more than I can pay for toys.

Parking will be tough. One must park about a block away and cross rt 80. Good luck with that, I hope they put a cop out there or something. Not a big issue for car buyers, but it makes the logistics of buying tools or heavy items too much trouble for me. Not sure I will attend or not.

Now if anybody buys the car due to this thread you owe me a ride in the back seat. I will accept a rumble seat ride as an alternative.

Guest Henry White

I assume that being a dual sidemount phaeton is what makes this one so hot. It is a cool car, but to pay a shop to do a concours restoration would be what? a half a million? Or do I need to add a few hundred thousand more? Great hobby for folks who can afford it though.

Car has plenty of spare tires too, besides the dual sidemounts there is at least one more in the trunk. I guess the car is a condition 4.

Now I want to go bid, may as well try.

What really makes it rare is an open phaeton, as late as 1936, with no roll up windows....thus not a convertible sedan....by 1936 phaetons were just not being made, and very few such cars were built....

Will be very interesting to see what it goes for...it's a decent car that could be cleaned up and toured, a full restoration would be expensive...

Guest Henry White

I made first bid of $25K, the gavel fell at $58K, add 10% buyers premium, = $63,800.00 Add your states sales tax to the $58K, then whatever it costs to restore it. It struggled to hit $58K, I think another $1K may have got it.

I dont know the buyer, but I could swear I've seen him walking Hershey before.

Parts sold high IMO, junk sold high IMO. A good day for the auctioneer. I bought a 1914 Maryland porcelain license plate. I will be listing it for sale on this board later tonight.

Edited by Henry White (see edit history)

Tom L., did you come south and buy another Packard?

I deleted my previous post about value because a person from the west coast (friend of an old car friend) contacted me who left a high 50's bid with the auctioneer, he was looking for someone to represent him at the auction but it ended up not being needed. Apparently he and the winner were the heavy hitters at the auction, he was placing bids over the phone (although the auctioneer had an absentee bid from him).

I think that's fair money for the car, in non-running old restoration condition for a standard eight......