Kick Panels for 1965

Crazy4cruz

I'm finding that I am answering my own question as I type this thread so bear with me.

My wife purchased a set of kick panels from OPGI for my 1965 Riviera. I hadn't really looked at them yet as I wasn't ready to cover and install them. So tonight I just happened to be out on CARS Inc's website poking around and noticed that they have kick panels for a 65 listed separately from 63-64. This seemed a little odd since OPGI lists kick panels as 63-65. The pictures on CARS Inc clearly show the 65 kick panel being a different shape, with the center hole being different as well with only three holes for mounting the grills. My grills have three holes. Interestingly, the 63-64 kick plates on CARS Inc look exactly like what OPGI sold to me for my 65.

So I guess my question is ... are the kick panels on a 65 different than on 63-64? Like I said I think I'm already answering my own question since I just went out and my grills don't appear to match up with the holes on the OPGI panels.

I'm starting to think I need to stay away from OPGI.

There are so many reputable vendors out there, why do folks continue to purchase from OPGI when there's so much bad publicity written about them. I've yet to hear of anything that fits, matches, or can be found elsewhere for much less. Just stating a personal opinion.

When looking for something like this, trust the folks who've been doing it the longest. CARS (Antique Old Buick Parts CARS, Inc.) Clarks Corviar (corvair.com) yes they have a full line of Riviera items, probably the best in the market for interior pieces.

Here's a link to page 17 in their Riviera catalog. It shows two different kick panels; one for the 63/64, and one for the '65. Trust Calvin on his stuff, he makes sure his parts are correct rather than trying to sell you something made for some other make/model that looks similar.

Clark's Corvair Parts, Inc. - Corvair Parts Catalog - Over 12,000 parts

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Definitely a lesson learned here. OPGI catalogs going in the trash. Clark's will even put the carpet on them for me which saves me time, money, and glued together fingers. I have purchased from CARS Inc before as well as Classic Buick Parts. The kick panels were one of the first OPGI purchases we have made. It will be the last. Thanks Ed for the feedback!

I also had this situation with OPGI. Bought the kick panels and what showed up was different than the picture in the catalog.

I worked with them to understand the problem. I even sent to them a paper trace copy of the original kick panels.

Basically there are 2 designs for 63-65. You just need to know which ones you have.

Clarks has both designs available. Their catalog is correct.

Buy from Clarks.

• 5 years later...

In regards to kick panels, I need to replace mine. crazyforcruise, talks about Clarks installing the carpet on them. Mine just appear to be painted a brownish gold color. Were there different interior options? with or without carpet? If I need to paint them do any of you know a paint that comes close to matching the original? Gold interior

The custom interior had carpeted kick panels, while the standard interior, which you must have, had painted cardboard kick panels. You could

put in carpeted kick panels, which would be a nice upgrade on your car, if you are not worried about total authenticity. On the paint, what you need to do

is go to an Automotive paint store that has a special electronic scanner device that they can hold up to any painted sample and it will spit out the paint code to mix up a paint that matches. This is what I did on my dark green interior and it was a flawless match.

I make my own kick panels & sail panels not out of some kind of cardboard but I use the thin Formica used for countertops.  It has some flexing capabilities & once covered with carpet or headliner material you would never know. Best part is that if they do get wet for some odd reason you don't have to worry about them deteriorating.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2018 at 10:55 AM, Seafoam65 said:

The custom interior had carpeted kick panels, while the standard interior, which you must have, had painted cardboard kick panels. You could

put in carpeted kick panels, which would be a nice upgrade on your car, if you are not worried about total authenticity. On the paint, what you need to do

is go to an Automotive paint store that has a special electronic scanner device that they can hold up to any painted sample and it will spit out the paint code to mix up a paint that matches. This is what I did on my dark green interior and it was a flawless match.

Thanks for the tip on the paint... Kinda like the carpet idea as I need to replace the carpet kit anyway.

On 12/1/2018 at 10:55 AM, Seafoam65 said:

Hi Winston,

I didn't know that the carpeted kick panels were only used on Rivieras with the custom interior.

I learn something new on this forum from time to time, and today is one of those times!  So thanks for that.

I wanted to refinish the metal panels between the rear quarters and the back seat.  Like yours, the interior in my '65 is also dark green code 620.  I went to a local parts jobber who has one of those scanners to get a spray bomb made up of the correct shade of green.  I took one of the metal panels and they made an exact match of the color, in a spray can, for about $12.

The people at Clark's are great and are really dedicated to the Riviera's (as well as corsair!) and Cars has been around so long because of Glen's love for the cars, and finally do not forget Gene Guarnere,  He has had a love affair for the cars since he was a young man!  Nice to do business with people really dedicated to the preservation of the cars