A Wheel Question 1st decade

TomP

The photo under has been sent to me and I am wondering if the wheels on it were right for the day, It is a PD and would guess taken around 1940?? I have checked the parts book but don't see a steel pressed wheel listed.

What are your thoughts? Thanks

post-72422-143142129176_thumb.jpg

To the best of my knowledge, the artillery style steel wheels were first fitted to Plymouths in 1934, standard on PE possibly optional on the PF. My reading of the "operator's manual" and the '28-'33 Master Parts List leads me to believe that only wood or wire wheels were available for the '33 PC and PD.

Hi Mr T, that was what I thought, not having much knowledge on the subject but I don't think they appeared in the UK until 1938 on the Morris and Standard 8s. This next clip is the same car in 1970.

post-72422-143142129478_thumb.jpg

The Mini in the background didn't launch until 1959

Edited by TomP (see edit history)

Guest DodgeKCL

Steel artillery wheels were available for the '33 PC/PD car in paint or full chrome but I've never seen any. 90% or better left the factory with wires,17" usually, and the rest with 16",sometimes 17",wooden artillery wheels. This car may be the one I've never seen. But aren't those hubcaps '34s? Can you blow them up?

Guest DodgeKCL

Taking a guess I would say those hubcaps are 1934 and the wheels are 1934 steel artillery. Plymouth stopped shipping wires in '34 and never went back. Factory photos of '34s may show wires but it would be unusual to find a '34 with factory wires on it.

​I'm also going to take a guess, This is definitely a 33, trust me, and the build card says wire wheels, because of the state of the roads or no roads in the Bloemfontein area of South Africa they might of stored the wires and fitted the steels for durability. One things for sure its back on wire wheels now.

Thanks for your input.