I need help identifying these transmissions help please

Guest Olds442Dreamer

Guest Olds442Dreamer

I have a pair of transmissions found in my dads old barn during a restoration project. i have found info about one of them but cant find much about other one is said to be a 1929 chevy trans from a four door sedan i want to try and verify this i just wanna help my dad confirm what they are and one had a wooden flywheel and was said to him to be a model t transmission. let me know i am a avid car enthusiast and this one has stumped me. any help would be appreciated and if more info is needed please let me know.and thanks for any help you will provide.post-95599-14314212843_thumb.jpg

post-95599-143142128459_thumb.jpg

Guest Commodore

The transmission on the left is a Warner Gear transmission. It has a WG casting mark. It also has a T2-1 casting mark. My interchange manual says that T2-1 case transmissions were used by Chrysler Models 50 and 52 1926 - 1928 and Erskine Model 50 1927 -1928.

The one on the right could well be Chevy. I can't see the casting number clearly, but the Chevy numbers are as follows: 1928 - 590321, 590328, 590279. 1929/30 -590391. 1931 - 590452. It should have a casting date along the line of A 12 3.

The transmission on the left is a Warner Gear transmission. It has a WG casting mark. It also has a T2-1 casting mark. My interchange manual says that T2-1 case transmissions were used by Chrysler Models 50 and 52 1926 - 1928 and Erskine Model 50 1927 -1928.

Hi Commodore,

not saying your wrong, I'm just curious and want to learn. Where do you see the WG casting and the T2-1 casting mark on that transmission on the left? My transmission in my 1930 3/4 ton Dodge panel truck (a Chrysler product after the 1928 takeover) has a T case as well and it specifically spells out "Warner Gear Co Muncie Ind T71-1A" on the same side as the trans in photo above. I would like to know if you may be able to decipher my transmission as I'm in need of some parts for mine. I am currently thumbing thru a Borg & Beck Master Catalogue # 300 and it shows the type of name plate to be a 10Q for the 1929-30 3/4 tons model tag 625. Can you confirm this is the correct setup and model for the 3/4 tons ? Any help is appreciated. Not trying to hijack, this is just a very hard trans to find anyone that knows anything about it.

Here is a pic of my trans if you can help. T71-1A is in the shadow of the pedal so you may have to zoom in a few times in order to see it:

post-69994-143142129484_thumb.jpg

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

Guest prs519

Note the same lengths of the shift levers, leading me to think they may both have been used in the same application. I am thinking the reverse gearing was some how useful, and that they were likely in an agricultural usage of some sort, harnessing an electric motor.

Guest Commodore

OK, to see what I saw, left click on the photo twice. An arrow in the shape of magnifying glass appears. Place this arrow on top of the fill plug and left click. In the expanded photo, below and to left of the fill plug is in raised letters "T2-1" and to left of that is "WG" in raised letters.

As far your Dodge panel truck goes, my interchange manual does not list a T71 case transmission. To use the make listings I would need the model designation of your truck.

OK, to see what I saw, left click on the photo twice. An arrow in the shape of magnifying glass appears. Place this arrow on top of the fill plug and left click. In the expanded photo, below and to left of the fill plug is in raised letters "T2-1" and to left of that is "WG" in raised letters.

As far your Dodge panel truck goes, my interchange manual does not list a T71 case transmission. To use the make listings I would need the model designation of your truck.

My model designation is a 1930 Dodge DA-124 I guess is the technical term. Also considered a 3/4 ton Panel truck. The DA is the type of 6 cylinder engine and the 124 is the wheelbase. Thanks for any help.

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

Guest Commodore

It looks like I am not going to be much help. My interchange manual does not list a "DA-124" model. All "DA" models listed except one used a Clark four speed. The one that didn't, a model DA-133, used a transmission the interchange manual called a "T156" transmission. No case ID data was available. This transmission was also used by 1930 -31 Studebaker 1 1/2 ton trucks.

It looks like I am not going to be much help. My interchange manual does not list a "DA-124" model. All "DA" models listed except one used a Clark four speed. The one that didn't, a model DA-133, used a transmission the interchange manual called a "T156" transmission. No case ID data was available. This transmission was also used by 1930 -31 Studebaker 1 1/2 ton trucks.

Ok, the DA-133 was a 1 ton with 133" WB and according to the Borg & Beck master catalogue the "name plate, drive plate, pressure plate and facing" would all have the same matching numbers for a "10Q" type clutch plate for both of these trucks. 625 should be the number on the ID tag, drive plate is 10515 for B&B or CD225L for BW, facing #M929B, pressure plate 10476 (flywheel 1 3/4" deep). My question is, do any of these numbers coincide with anything related to the DA-133 T156 trans ? If there is a hit I may be on the right track. Thanks again for any help

Guest Commodore

No luck on the clutch. My interchange manual clutch section does not list any "DA" models. However, I found a reference on the internet that said that the 1928 Dodge Victory Six used a Borg & Beck 625 clutch. Looking at the interchange manual, it said that the 1928 -29 Dodge 3/4 ton trucks models DE, DEW and DEF used this transmission. Might this transmission be yours? case numbers 202283, 33086, 42129. Is your transmission a three speed or a four speed?

No luck on the clutch. My interchange manual clutch section does not list any "DA" models. However, I found a reference on the internet that said that the 1928 Dodge Victory Six used a Borg & Beck 625 clutch. Looking at the interchange manual, it said that the 1928 -29 Dodge 3/4 ton trucks models DE, DEW and DEF used this transmission. Might this transmission be yours? case numbers 202283, 33086, 42129. Is your transmission a three speed or a four speed?

3 speed