Buick 1948 Push Rods

Guest wacker

Guest wacker

Hi,

Got a Buick Roadmaster 1948 with Dynaflow and serial 51730677, mechanical lifters.

Im going to shave the head this winter and are looking into getting new push rods.

Last time I had the valve cover off I noticed that some of the push rods are hollow with hole in the ends and some do not. Would the one without the holes be the right ones for a engine with mechanical lifters?

Adn would it somehow be negative to use the hollow ones?

Since im shaving the head they also need to be a little shorter. Do anyone know the correct length for them? I read somewhere that they are 13.54" but it would be great to have it confirmed.

Thanks

Stefan

Guest shadetree77

Stefan,

To my knowledge, any engine that came with a Dynaflow from the factory had hydraulic lifters NOT mechanical. The push rods for a hydraulic lifter are hollow like you said with a hole at each end. This hole feeds oil down to the lifter. If you have a mixture of both kinds of push rods and you have mechanical lifters with a Dynaflow car....you have some problems to correct. If your car has a Dynaflow all of your push rods should be hollow and all of your lifters should be hydraulic. Not sure on the length, my parts manual does not give a description of length and the rods on my '52 are a different part number.

Edited by shadetree77 (see edit history)

Guest wacker

Early 48 engines up to serial 5192693 should have mechanical lifters according to what I have heard. What would be the negative effect on running hollow push rods on an engine with mechanical lifters?

The lenght would surely be nice to have but I guess I just have to take one out and meassure it. Im thinking of ordering some from Smith Bros.

Guest shadetree77

My parts book seems to verify what you've heard about that. That's the first I've heard of mechanical lifters being used on a Dynaflow car. I learned something new.:) I'm not exactly sure how the mechanical lifter system lubricates. Does the oil still come out of the tip of the rocker arm through the ball stud? If it does, would oil flow down into the hollow push rod and cause a lot of oil to get where it doesn't normally get to? I don't know if that would cause a problem or not.

Only other thing I could think of is how much stress does a mechanical lifter system put on the push rods? If a mechanical lifter puts more stress on a hollow push rod it might bend easier. These are just guesses because I'm definitely not an engine expert.