AC CLUTCH OR BEARING?

oldstyle

Seems like I have a lot of noise coming from the AC compressor. No ac error light on dash and no cold air coming out. Im considering changing the clutch but also seen there is a bearing available. Im assuming that they're separate. I know I should just change the compressor but would like to change it on the car if possible and avoid leaving the car at the mechanic shop. Oh, it on a 93 Riv.

Guest Richard D

Does the compressor make a different sound when the clutch is engauged? For that matter does the compressor start turning when ac auto button is pressed? Temp should be set 65 or 60 degrees.

Edited by Richard D (see edit history)

The clutch doesn't engage anymore and sounds the same either way. Spun it by hand and it still sound horrible. I bypassed the compressor while I try to find some time to get the compressor replaced. Previous owner changed to R134 but didnt change the compressor. I may just change the compressor /drier and go back to r12.

Edited by oldbuickone (see edit history)

Don't go back to R12. Unless of course you can get it at a reasonable price and do it yourself. The shops have to reclaim it and charge a lot for it. I'm not advocating releasing it into the air. I had mine redone and foolishly stayed with R12. They assured me I would get back what they evacuated. I always ended up being charged for some. It was not cheap. Stay with R134 and fix it right. New o-rings all around, etc.....