'54-'55-'56 What do you prefer?

dan at larescorp

Guest Rob McDonald
[ATTACH=CONFIG]207274[/ATTACH]

I think he's saying, "You want a full wheel cutout? No problem."

STEALTHBOB, I figured that was movie music but it may have been inspired by Karl Orff -

A noted before, the continuing mechanical improvement over the 3 years makes the 56 the choice.

Styling makes the 54 the choice. As with most first year cars of a new design, the look is cleaner such as the bumpers integrating with the body better (55&56 look like they are hung on as an after thought). There are a few things on the 54 that are dated like the 'sad face' headlights (53), the domed vs depressed hood center and the backup lights on the trunk.

The 'waterfall grill' looks good on the 54, but has been over done and is getting boring (same with the center grill bar on Chevrolets).

The fully exposed rear wheel fender effect along with the sweepspear is what makes these cars --- I have never liked fender skirts or even a half skirt effect.

The best part of all 3 is sitting behind that big 'ol steering when while it is stroking down the road!

My choice?...see my signature!

Willie

I like what you said Willie...there are certain styling cues to each car that set them apart. For me this image is what says it all...

That beautiful roof line as it gently falls over the rear, the reverse rake and yes open wheels with the sweep-spear curving over and flowing past with a burst of speed.

167436d1355445179-up-roof-harley-earl-bu54roof02.jpg

Edited by stealthbob (see edit history)

Matt is only an hour or so from me.... a two for one deal!! How can you beat it? You could drive ours, see how great they are, and get one of your own from down here. There are several 54,55,56 Buicks for sale in NC too.... Check out Craigslist....

Matt is only an hour or so from me.... a two for one deal!! How can you beat it? You could drive ours, see how great they are, and get one of your own from down here. There are several 54,55,56 Buicks for sale in NC too.... Check out Craigslist....

well if you're that far east, bring a trailer on down to Buick Gardens and I'm sure MrsEarl will find something to load up on it. May be a project but......

well if you're that far east, bring a trailer on down to Buick Gardens and I'm sure MrsEarl will find something to load up on it. May be a project but......

Make sure you ask to see the "Buick Room"...I got to sleep in it one night. It also contains the Buick closet of NOS wonders!

I had to walk through a metal detector on the way out though...

I agree, get behind the wheel of one and try it out.. That's what is so great about a club like this. Lamar, thanks for posting that pic - It reminds me of a very fun day with you at Buick Gardens. Parts we pulled are already in my Evelyn and working great. GO Fifty-FO!!!