Sign in to follow this  
dan at larescorp

'54-'55-'56 What do you prefer?

I like anyone that starts up and runs on the road reliably. If I had to chose one, I think it would have to be a 1955 Roadmaster Convertible. Then A 54 Road Master convertible as a second, And then a 56 Road Master Convertible as a third. Of course, a certian one of a kind 54 Landau owned by "Uncle Bob" would overrule all of these cars. :) Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

I am a 55 fan.... I love how it has the cones up front, and the mild fin tail lights in the back. I also like the round gauges. I am on my 3rd 1955 4 door special now. I am probably the only fool buying 4 door special post cars... but...it's a cheap way into a neat looking old car.

Edited by wndsofchng06
fixed a typo (see edit history)

I am a 55 fan.... I love how it has the cones up front, and the mild fin tail lights in the back. I also like the round gauges. I am on my 3rd 1955 4 door special now. I am probably the only fool buying 4 door special post cars... but...it's a cheap way into a neat looking old car.

I am with you there...more doors need more love.

Looks like a tie Dan, Appears to me you can't go wrong with any 54-55-56...

I'm obviously partial to the 54...same reason Lamar stated and if it was good enough for my Dad's first car it good enough for me.

I made some cheeky vids to garner interest for '54 owners to bring their 54's to the 2012 Nats. WE had a great showing but sadly we were just short of 54.

Take a look at a series of 54's...there are 54 of them in this vid:

Wow, that gave me goosebumps! I love the Landau lightning sequence at the end. And what is that awesome music?

'54 for sure! Better hood ornament, more traditional grill design, and a commanding steering wheel. In my mind, it combines the best of the mid-50s GM design with Buick's more traditional styling elements from the post-war era.

My fav is the '56 Roadmaster 2 door hardtop I've owned, and driven for over 25 years! Fully equipted, including A/C. I have driven it over 90,000 miles in the last 25 years.

Keith

Wow, that gave me goosebumps! I love the Landau lightning sequence at the end. And what is that awesome music?

The music is from "Two Steps from Hell" song "The conquerors"...pretty intense stuff I admit.

Here is another that is a little more subdued:

First off, I want to thank all of you for your help.

I think my best solution is to find someone local who has one of these and see if they would be kind enough to take me for a ride. This thread is full of great information, but there is still no clear choice.

It is nice to know I'm not the only nut that can't decide. I'm pretty sure the only answer we know is if your buying a buick, there is no wrong choice.

'54 for sure! Better hood ornament, more traditional grill design, and a commanding steering wheel. In my mind, it combines the best of the mid-50s GM design with Buick's more traditional styling elements from the post-war era.

I'm gonna have to arm rassle the Father on this one :)

I like the 56 wagon with the full wheel cutout...

I'm gonna have to arm rassle the Father on this one :)

I like the 56 wagon with the full wheel cutout...

I put my money on this guy. post-31987-143142129505_thumb.jpg

I like the 54 of all three. Not because I own one but it is the first year of a total transformation of Buick styling due in part to the V8.

However, the 59 Invicta/Lesabre that is not in consideration by you as a candidate, is the true mark of Buick design. In my humle opinion anyway.

The last time I asked my wife (She is a Car-Guy) to help make a choice between two different Buicks,

She said "GET THEM BOTH", then if you don't care for one of them you can offer it to others.

post-54863-143142129665_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142129667_thumb.jpg

post-54863-14314212968_thumb.jpg

The last time I asked my wife (She is a Car-Guy) to help make a choice between two different Buicks,

She said "GET THEM BOTH", then if you don't care for one of them you can offer it to others.

Man are you one lucky $*%

[ATTACH=CONFIG]207274[/ATTACH]

I think he's saying, "You want a full wheel cutout? No problem."

STEALTHBOB, I figured that was movie music but it may have been inspired by Karl Orff -

A noted before, the continuing mechanical improvement over the 3 years makes the 56 the choice.

Styling makes the 54 the choice. As with most first year cars of a new design, the look is cleaner such as the bumpers integrating with the body better (55&56 look like they are hung on as an after thought). There are a few things on the 54 that are dated like the 'sad face' headlights (53), the domed vs depressed hood center and the backup lights on the trunk.

The 'waterfall grill' looks good on the 54, but has been over done and is getting boring (same with the center grill bar on Chevrolets).

The fully exposed rear wheel fender effect along with the sweepspear is what makes these cars --- I have never liked fender skirts or even a half skirt effect.

The best part of all 3 is sitting behind that big 'ol steering when while it is stroking down the road!

My choice?...see my signature!

Willie

I have been putting a lot of thought into buying another Buick lately. It's been a few years since I have had one.

My recent thought were to purchase one between the years 1954-1956.

It doesn't matter......just buy the Buick.

I like what you said Willie...there are certain styling cues to each car that set them apart. For me this image is what says it all...

That beautiful roof line as it gently falls over the rear, the reverse rake and yes open wheels with the sweep-spear curving over and flowing past with a burst of speed.

167436d1355445179-up-roof-harley-earl-bu54roof02.jpg

Edited by stealthbob (see edit history)

I put my money on this guy. [ATTACH=CONFIG]207274[/ATTACH]

Yea no doubt...you know who he has in his corner!

Dan, If you get to NC, I have a '55 you can drive and see how you like it.... Just let me know when you're coming.

B- Thanks for the kind offer. I will be sure to let you know if I can make a trip down there sometime in the near future. It's around a 20 hour drive from here. Looks like around only 6 hours from Hershey. May have to get in contact with you around then if your offer still stands.

And if you visit B, I am close to him if you want to drive a 1954 Special for comparison.

Matt is only an hour or so from me.... a two for one deal!! How can you beat it? You could drive ours, see how great they are, and get one of your own from down here. There are several 54,55,56 Buicks for sale in NC too.... Check out Craigslist....