'54-'55-'56 What do you prefer?

dan at larescorp

I have been putting a lot of thought into buying another Buick lately. It's been a few years since I have had one.

My recent thought were to purchase one between the years 1954-1956.

Here is what I want to know-

*Your favorite year

*Your favorite model

*Any known pro's and con's of certain models of these years (I.E. Leaky dynaflow, Stuck heat riser, ect.)

I am not ready to buy just yet. I just want to get some honest opinions.

Thanks for any info in advance.

Guest my3buicks

Roadmaster Coupe or Century Coupe in any of those years, although 55 is probably the most desirable, if looking for a 4 door I would go with the 55 Century 4 door hardtop personally or a 56 Roadmaster or Century 4door hardtop. Convertibles, any of them, although again the Roadmaster or Century are going to remain the most desirable.

What do you want to do with the car Dan, show or go? If the latter, then 56 is where to concentrate. The mechanical differences are not seen but if I have this right, include:

use of twin turbines in drive and low gear

rag joint on steering column

redesigned rear axle layout to fight off rear axle failures

dual exhaust in all models except the stick shift cars

use of the 322 in all model series

under the hood A/C if so equiped.

And trans cooler in the radiator.

These are the major advances. Any 2 dr model or convertible is preferred, although I like the discrete application of chrome trim on the Super the best.

They all have pro's and cons. Best chance of appreciation is Roadie or Century Convert followed by Coupe. Pay NO attention to what any of us like/dislike. Buy what floats YOUR boat since unless you do everything yourself you will be under water on it anyway. ......................Bob

What do you want to do with the car Dan, show or go? If the latter, then 56 is where to concentrate. The mechanical differences are not seen but if I have this right, include:

use of twin turbines in drive and low gear

rag joint on steering column

redesigned rear axle layout to fight off rear axle failures

dual exhaust in all models except the stick shift cars

use of the 322 in all model series

under the hood A/C if so equiped.

And trans cooler in the radiator.

These are the major advances. Any 2 dr model or convertible is preferred, although I like the discrete application of chrome trim on the Super the best.

JohnD is right on regarding performance and handling. With the 255 hp 322 and a very responsive Dynaflow the 56 Century I had would scat. The 55's have, I think, 235 hp and the 54's 200.

and the 56's handled better due to a 7* angle of the king pin. 54 and 55 were 0*. The 56's also had rear tube shocks while 54 and 55 had knee action, but I don't know if that was such a great improvement.

only Roadmaster came standard with dual exhaust, all other series w/D'flow could be ordered with duals.

So if choosing solely on performance and handling, I'd probably look at 56's. But since I am a man who appreciates beauty and class, I can only point you in one direction, the 1954 Buick, The Beautiful Buy. It was the last year for the classic Buick waterfall grill and the torpedo tail lights. Many of the styling features of the 54 such as the grill, headlights and tail lights are still used by builders of custom cars today. I won't put down the 55 or 56 styling with the new for the day flat "sportier" grill and v tail lights, but will just say they don't turn me on. Now the '54 Roadmaster with the sexy french curved roof line laying so graciously on that long slab sided body, or the 54 Century hard top, now they turn me on. And when it comes down to it, what you end up buying will be what turns you on, no matter what we say.

Guest wildcat465

Lots of choices locally Dan.

Your basic fitty-fo': 1954 buick special 4dr

Pretty cool fitty-fi': 1955 Buick Special 55 a cheapie: *** Classic 1955 Buick Special ***

I would call this one a fitty-stick: 1956 Buick 2 door post That's the one I would jump on if there way any spare cash and room around here.

Probably checking each one out will get you to know what you really want. You should of known that this crowd would steer you three different ways :confused:

Thanks for the quick response guys.

Dan- I believe there is a guy in MN who has a California Hwy Patrol 56 Buick. I'm not sure if it is the same model, but it is awesome.

Keith- I agree. Roadmasters have always caught my eye. Beautiful models in all three years from what I have seen. It seems that any time you see a Roadmaster you can add at least 3K to the price no matter what shape it is in. From what I have seen the Century is a bit more affordable, and still has a nice style.

Dale- A skylark would be a great car. Only issue is if you find one that has been restored they get an arm and a leg for them. If not restored the chrome bill would force me to sell my first and only child :P. BTW- Great job on the float and hauler! Amazing work.

Redrob- It is a tough choice huh? A 55 Century is a nice pick.

JohnD- My plan would be a bit of both, but mainly to drive it. I can't have something just sit and taunt me from the garage. But I do love the head turning effect you get from class. Any car can be flashy with a lot going on, It takes a true beauty to draw a crowd being stock. Thanks for the info. That will be a great help.

Bob-Century convert. would be sweet. As far as the rebuild and repair I do all of my work myself. I would never be able to be involved in this hobby otherwise. For two reasons, money, and I just don't trust a lot of other people to work on my cars.

And last but certainly not least, Mr.E- If there were a better man to represent 54 Buicks on earth today, I would show him your picture and take him down a peg or two. Thank you for those specs. I know a lot of people have issues with those knee action shocks. From what I've seen rebuild kits are available for them, so thats not a huge deal.

Thanks again everyone.

Lots of choices locally Dan.

Your basic fitty-fo': 1954 buick special 4dr

Pretty cool fitty-fi': 1955 Buick Special 55 a cheapie: *** Classic 1955 Buick Special ***

I would call this one a fitty-stick: 1956 Buick 2 door post That's the one I would jump on if there way any spare cash and room around here.

Probably checking each one out will get you to know what you really want. You should of known that this crowd would steer you three different ways :confused:

Paul- You rock. Found'em close to home for me and everything. That red 55 is slick. Thank you for the help!

Bob-Century convert. would be sweet. As far as the rebuild and repair I do all of my work myself. I would never be able to be involved in this hobby otherwise. For two reasons, money, and I just don't trust a lot of other people to work on my cars.

That means it will be a labor of love. That further means it's imperative that you LOVE whatever you buy. Anything less and you will learn to hate it.................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

Just my opinion, but:

I believe that, above and beyond all of the technical and mechanical advantages...

The 1956 Buick have the most refined, delicately applied, coordinated, and elegant styling of any of the mid-fifties Buicks.

They left off the "heavy globs of chrome", and smoothed out the lines......again, just one guy's opinion.

My choice of model is the Roadmaster convertible, in Red & White, of course.

To my way of thinking, nothing else even comes close.

post-54863-143142120722_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142120724_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142120738_thumb.jpg

I was taught to mistrust by people I gave money to. That was years ago and related to old cars. I'm older now and learning to mistrust other people.

Avoid logical decisions. Those acts usually have expectations attached. That's where they get you. Illogical choices, minimal expectations, and learning the dance. I hope you see the logic in that.

Bernie

Just my opinion, but:

I believe that, above and beyond all of the technical and mechanical advantages...

The 1956 Buick have the most refined, delicately applied, coordinated, and elegant styling of any of the mid-fifties Buicks.

They left off the "heavy globs of chrome", and smoothed out the lines......again, just one guy's opinion.

My choice of model is the Roadmaster convertible, in Red & White, of course.

To my way of thinking, nothing else even comes close.

At our local show one year ago, a gentleman from the neighboring county shows up with your dream 56. I too think that this is the most desirable '56 of all. - Danpost-54279-143142120751_thumb.jpg

Guest Rob McDonald

Of the three years, I'd pick the '57. I know, I know, it's outside the circle but there's not much sweeter looking than a Junior Series 2-door hardtop in a single colour. Lose the wire wheels and put the full wheel covers back on and this'd be my favourite '50s Buick.

post-59990-143142121045_thumb.jpg

I'm obviously partial to the 54...same reason Lamar stated and if it was good enough for my Dad's first car it good enough for me.

I made some cheeky vids to garner interest for '54 owners to bring their 54's to the 2012 Nats. WE had a great showing but sadly we were just short of 54.

Take a look at a series of 54's...there are 54 of them in this vid:

Guest my3buicks
post-30591-143142121504_thumb.jpgIn my mind, if we are talking 56's, this is the ultimate 56 color - so much more striking than ordinary red & white. This one shows up at our local cruise and I drool every time.

I like anyone that starts up and runs on the road reliably. If I had to chose one, I think it would have to be a 1955 Roadmaster Convertible. Then A 54 Road Master convertible as a second, And then a 56 Road Master Convertible as a third. Of course, a certian one of a kind 54 Landau owned by "Uncle Bob" would overrule all of these cars. :) Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

I am a 55 fan.... I love how it has the cones up front, and the mild fin tail lights in the back. I also like the round gauges. I am on my 3rd 1955 4 door special now. I am probably the only fool buying 4 door special post cars... but...it's a cheap way into a neat looking old car.

Edited by wndsofchng06
fixed a typo (see edit history)

I am a 55 fan.... I love how it has the cones up front, and the mild fin tail lights in the back. I also like the round gauges. I am on my 3rd 1955 4 door special now. I am probably the only fool buying 4 door special post cars... but...it's a cheap way into a neat looking old car.

I am with you there...more doors need more love.

Guest Rob McDonald
I'm obviously partial to the 54...same reason Lamar stated and if it was good enough for my Dad's first car it good enough for me.

I made some cheeky vids to garner interest for '54 owners to bring their 54's to the 2012 Nats. WE had a great showing but sadly we were just short of 54.

Take a look at a series of 54's...there are 54 of them in this vid:

Wow, that gave me goosebumps! I love the Landau lightning sequence at the end. And what is that awesome music?

'54 for sure! Better hood ornament, more traditional grill design, and a commanding steering wheel. In my mind, it combines the best of the mid-50s GM design with Buick's more traditional styling elements from the post-war era.

First off, I want to thank all of you for your help.

I think my best solution is to find someone local who has one of these and see if they would be kind enough to take me for a ride. This thread is full of great information, but there is still no clear choice.

It is nice to know I'm not the only nut that can't decide. I'm pretty sure the only answer we know is if your buying a buick, there is no wrong choice.

'54 for sure! Better hood ornament, more traditional grill design, and a commanding steering wheel. In my mind, it combines the best of the mid-50s GM design with Buick's more traditional styling elements from the post-war era.

I'm gonna have to arm rassle the Father on this one :)

I like the 56 wagon with the full wheel cutout...

I like the 54 of all three. Not because I own one but it is the first year of a total transformation of Buick styling due in part to the V8.

However, the 59 Invicta/Lesabre that is not in consideration by you as a candidate, is the true mark of Buick design. In my humle opinion anyway.

The last time I asked my wife (She is a Car-Guy) to help make a choice between two different Buicks,

She said "GET THEM BOTH", then if you don't care for one of them you can offer it to others.

post-54863-143142129665_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142129667_thumb.jpg

post-54863-14314212968_thumb.jpg

The last time I asked my wife (She is a Car-Guy) to help make a choice between two different Buicks,

She said "GET THEM BOTH", then if you don't care for one of them you can offer it to others.

Man are you one lucky $*%