Broken speedometer cable, how to repair?

I have a 1928 Studebaker dictator that needs a core to the speedometer. The housing seems to be just fine, but it had no core when I bought the car. The speedometer is a Stewart-Warner, and the housing is 69 inches long... it has been suggested that I can use a universal kit, but most kits do not come with the piece that is needed for the transmission end. It has a slot which receives a flange on the core....Has anyone repaired your model A or Studebaker, or a car with the Stewart-Warner speedometer???? Thanks for anyone who will share their experience or advice....

I don"t have a Studebaker, but the Crosley uses Stewart Warner also (Warner T-92 transmission). It has been my experience that the gear is unique to the transmission and requires the gear for that transmission. If you can find the gear, the universal cable will then work for that. Has worked for me for 3 or 4 different cars. Olympic Gear Products has the parts for the T-92 , perhaps they can help with yours also.

• 3 weeks later...

Check Restoration Supply co. at restorationstuff.com. They have the ends in different diameters. I am going through this same thing with a 30 chrysler and I think they can come up with what I need or close enough to make it work. I saw this name on a similar question somewhere in this forum.