Sign in to follow this  
edhd58

It's amazing just how stupid I can be

I amazed myself at my own stupidity tonight. It's my first attempt at body/paint work. After two weeks of off and on work on the right rear fender its was ready for epoxy primer. That's what I've been told by everybody to put down first. Went to the best local auto paint suppy shop and got what I was told I needed in material and supplies. When mixing my second, note I say second batch of primer it occurs to me I just read the cup wrong and mixed the stuff 50/50, not 2 to 1 like its supposed to be. Sitting there waiting for the primer to get ready to spray is when I really for the first time studied all the markings at the 2 to1 to 1 marks. Yep, it has 2:1:1 columns. Wow what a bonehead I feel like. I hope this doesn't mean another down to the metal sanding weekend.

In my younger days, I rarely made stupid mistakes. Since i've got older, I have to check behind myself all the time; and still mess up. I went on vacation last week and tried to check into the wrong hotel.

I can only speak for myself, but you are far from the only person on this board who has done something like that. Can you imagine all the time and money wasted on boneheadedness in the car world alone??? :)

Definitely not alone. I used to paint cars back in the 70's and I repaired a lot of back yard screw-ups. I had to repaint one car that had refused to cure properly. It had been done for over a year, but still peeled back with your finger nail. I assume someone had sprayed it in air dry enamel with no drier or hardener, but they never did really own up to what had happened. If your primer isn't setting up properly, I would suggest removing it. You may get lucky and get away with normal sanding and recoating however.

I've never made any mistakes.

My wife told me once. "You're not perfect."

I said. "Yes I am"

She said. "You're not perfect"

I said. 'Yes I am."

She said. "No you're not."

I said. "Damn near"

Bill H

Was it Ben Franklin who said you learn more from your mistakes than from your successes? Bet you won't ever screw up mixing primer again.

You are far from alone. As a professional painter I once mixed in the wrong activator and it turned to a solid rubber as I stirred it. WTF?

At least I didn't spray it on the fender!

I'm not a pro at this either, although I did a bit of painting some years ago. When I started my current project I made sure and to get and read the data sheet on the paint (primers/colors) I was spraying before starting. The PPG primer I'm using also is a 2:1 mix and I found using the ounce measurement, also on most all paint mix cups, to be simple to get exactly what I needed mixed up. Example: Need 6 oz to spray = 4 oz of the primer and 2 oz of the hardener.

As far a what your next step is with this mix problem I'm sure a call to the store where you got your supplies will get you an answer as to what problem, if any, you may have and what your next move should be. Scott...

If you ever have 2 cars in your shop that you are painting and they are the same basic color, in this case yellow but slightly different shades, be sure you keep the 2 cans of paint clearly marked. Trust me on this.

Don't kick yourself that much. You caught the error before serious money and time were wasted. We've all made stupid mistakes - it's a part about working on cars.

I made the same painting mistake twice on my Camaro hood. Have to sand down the hood and paint it a third time.

I'm probably the only one but when I first started learning how to operate computers way back in 1999 I remember having a conversation something like this :

Tech Support: "What does the screen say now.." Person: "It says, 'Hit ENTER when ready'." Tech Support: "Well?" Person: "How do I know when it's ready?"

Lets face it, the instructions on mixing auto paints are anything but common sense and anyone can see how they can confuse someone who's never done it before. Most of us guys have to read and re-read stuff anyway, paint directions need our undivided attention even if it takes 5 times to confirm ...boneheaded ??? NA... it's normal and anyone who denies it is lying

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

Several weeks ago I was replacing the "Insurance Cards" in our cars. Of course this was the perfect opportunity to "Exercise" each of them.

When I got to the 1970 Cadillac convertible it not only wouldn't start, the "Key in the Ignition-Switch" buzzer didn't even make a sound --- Dead Battery? So I hooked up my Jumper-Pak -- again, nothing !!, No horn, no lights, no radio, no ignition key buzzer --- nada, zip, zero, nothing !!

OK - undo the battery hold-down and both cables - pull out the battery, and bring it home for a "Slow-Charge", but after getting it to the charger, my multi-meter (should have had it with me in the first place) showed a strong 12 Volts. I put it on for a 2-Amp charge anyway, just to ensure a proper charge, and went about other responsibilities.

Long about 3:00 AM I woke from a deep sleep with the realization that we had installed a hidden "Master Electrical Cut-Off" in a hidden location.

After successfully skinning three knuckles, and bruising a couple of fingers (these blood-thinners really do work), an reconnecting the battery, I reminded myself to flip the switch on the Master Cut-Off, and as if newly-enchanted, the big elegant Cadillac convertible sprang to life at the twist of that golden key. I would like to think that she was smiling, but maybe it was just smirking at me. ..... good thing she can't give me a "dope-slap" ..... oh wait, she did with her hood.

Thats funny right there, I don't care who you are. Actually, I don't think anything wrong happened either, all looks fine.