Data plate Decod help needed - 1956 Premiere

Guest marcovf

Guest marcovf

Hello - I just purchased sign unseen a 1956 Lincoln Premier with about 35K miles on it. I thought I was buying a sedan with the roof cut off... but in the trunk was all the hardware for the convertible top. New paint, new interior, rebuilt and detailed engine bay - a lot better than I was expecting. I have the data plate information and was wondering if anyone out there can help decode it for me? The Data Code is BY76B 25-630-823-311. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I think that the data code numbers you posted are not totally correct.

BY76B signifies that it is a 1956 Lincoln Premiere convertible

25 is Desert Buff paint code

630 is the trim code for Starmist White and Desert Buff Leather (windlace Change)

No listing for the rest of the numbers.

According to the parts book patent plate breakdown info, after the numbers 630 there should be a letter which standds for the month of year (built) code, then two numbers which stand for day of month (built) and finally a rotation number (place in assembly line). Your number 823 and 311 don't appear on the patent plate. Look again.

You need also to add these books to your reference library for your 1956 Lincoln:

BODY PARTS CATALOG 1956-1957 LINCOLN AND 1956 LINCOLN MAINTAINANCE MANUAL. Both manuals appear for sale on eBay from time to time. A MUST buy for your Lincoln. The BODY PARTS catalog has the patent plate breakdown info you are asking about,

Guest marcovf

Thanks john - I'll have another closer look but I am 90% sure I read it correctly - I'll confirm. In the meantime, based on your research, perhaps the "823" might mean August 23rd and the "311" is the rotation number that you mentioned. Either way I appreciate your time to look that up for me. I will look for those two books that you mentioned as well - Thanks.

Guest marcovf

Hi John - I was able to find my glasses and had another look and you are correct - the plate actually reads: BY76B 25-630-B23-311. Based on your earlier note - I am guessing that the car was made on February 23rd and must have been the 311th on the line that day. Please let me know if you think that is correct. Thanks.

• 5 years later...