What ideas to cover up panel edges?

fozz71

I have a '28 Dodge that is a bit of a rough project- someone had ripped out the entire interior and then discarded it. I chose to create my own panels in a black vinyl and am about finished- the question I have is about something to cover seams & edges that may not align perfectly. Can't use hidem in places without wood.

Is there any sort of black vinyl grained tape to apply to a few spots? Since the interior isn't original- I am open to ideas.

I tried friction tape, which had a nice cotton texture, but just doesn't stick very well enough.

Thanks-

Jim

Edited by fozz71
added detail (see edit history)

Not sure but if you mean what I think you mean, the answer is welting or wind lace.

Welting is a round bead along the edge of a piece of material. Made by wrapping a strip of upholstery material over a 1/8" diameter cord. No doubt you have seen it on chairs, upholstery, between fenders and bodies. Upholstery shops sell a special plastic cord, and you can use strips of leftover material to make it.

Wind lace is similar but fatter, it used to be used along the edge of doors to finish the edge and keep out drafts, before rubber weather stripping came in. Vintage auto supply places sell it.

You are correct- if I had used a period fabric or style I could use windlace, but since I went with black grained vinyl I limited my options. I just wanted to see if anyone knows of any grained vinyl tape.

Thanks,

Jim

Restoration Specialties in PA sell a material called bias binding that is made for edging on panels. It's about 11/4 wide and has a leatherette look on one side. They also sell black windlace. You can access their catalog on computer or call at 814-467-9842 9:00- 5:00 eastern