Mopar 6v Starter Relay HELP

Guest 55Firedome

Guest 55Firedome

So, the starter relay on my 55' DeSoto Firedome 291cid, has finally gone bad. It is a 4 post relay that mounts on the fender wall. This relay is very hard to find, and costs over $250.00. Does anyone know of another relay that could be used? I have heard rumor that a Ford 8N tractor relay could work....any help is GREATLY appreciated!!! It is a 6v positive ground system.

55Firedome,

I looked at a wiring diagram for the 55 DeSoto and the starter relay is simply there to allow the neutral safety switch to function. What you need is a 6 volt relay with the coil connections brought out to terminals, this is because of the positive ground. All that relay does is supply power to the starter solonoid when the key/button is activated AND the transmission is in park/neutral (please read between the lines about keys/buttons as I am not familiar with DeSoto). Now for another question.... are you sure it is the relay and not the neutral safety switch or the starter switch/button? Relays do fail but it has been my experience that they are quite reliable. As for a replacement relay you might look at horn relays for 6 volt cars, just be sure the relay has four terminals , two coil and two switched.

Hope this helps.

edit: I just took another look at the wiring diagram and it looks like the horn relay used on your car would work for the starter relay. I don't know if they are easier to get but you might look.

Robin

Edited by 37_Roadmaster_C
add information (see edit history)

Yes, you can use an 8N start relay with a couple of qualifications. First, it doesn't look anything like your DeSoto relay. Second, the contacts are way over rated for what you need but that's OK. Third and most important. Read and HEED this. The mounting feet of the relay ARE THE GROUND TERMINAL. If you mount the relay to the body of the car you will lose the neutral safety switch and the car will start in any gear. You rectify this problem by insulating the switch from the car body when you mount it. Then you connect the relay mounting foot to the neutral safety switch which provides the relay's ground but only when the car is in neutral.........................Bob

So, the starter relay on my 55' DeSoto Firedome 291cid, has finally gone bad. It is a 4 post relay that mounts on the fender wall. This relay is very hard to find, and costs over $250.00. Does anyone know of another relay that could be used? I have heard rumor that a Ford 8N tractor relay could work....any help is GREATLY appreciated!!! It is a 6v positive ground system.

Time taken to..............

Walk to the shop and check on relay...................15 min

Research 8N relay..............................................15 Min

Check Gary Goers catalog....................................5 Min

Check Bernbaum Catalog.....................................5 Min

Type response to55 Firedome's "GREATLY"

appreciated post.................................................5 Min

Time taken by 55 Firedome to acknowledge the above with a reply of any type..................."ZERO".................................................Bob