1948-1954 Hudson Step-Down Question (historical)

James B.

Please excuse the cross post but the question can be answered by Hudson or other people.

1948-1954 Step-down Design historical question..

Does anyone know what happened to designers Bill Kirby and Arnold Yonkers? Bill was more high profile with this design while Yonkers left in the middle of work. I have been able to locate all of the others associated with the project – correct full names as well as birth/death dates but these two seem to be a bit elusive.

When Robert Andrews gave an interview for Automobile Quarterly he said that Kirby was in his mid 30s when he came on board and was considered by later standards as a bit of a hippie. I was able to locate a William Kirby born c.1915 and seen in Michigan’s census with two other men listed as “partners” rather than other regular relationships such as husband, wife, son, brother, border, lodger, etc... a bit odd seeing partners for 1940 leading towards being a bit unusual and an artist too hence hippie? He was listed as an artist while another a photographer and the third some other line of work. As for Yonkers, it was stated he left in the middle of the project and was deeply into religion and was a tall thin Dutchman. I have yet to find a Arnold Yonkers that matches but there is one Arnold Jonker(s) that is a possibility but says worked with windows and the Jonker(s) spelling is correct for the Nederland’s – or Arnoldus Jonkers. Just like I saw one printed interview shows Toncray as Concray – spelling error. Does anyone have any leads for me? My main interest is in the chassis design which I think fell under Millard Toncray?

Thanks.

Jim