1940 Ford Deluxe Coupe Paint

Guest drschones1

Guest drschones1

I have a 1940 Ford Coupe, That I would like to restore back to the original color and style. Someone made a hotrod out of it. my question is how do I find out what the original color was?

I don't believe there is an answer other than to look around on your cowl, door jambs, inside your trunk lid or start sanding some where. Paint it any of the many stock '40 Ford colors THAT YOU LIKE. Its your time, money and labor and the V8 clubs and others all accept any color available that year.

Guest billybird

You didn't mention whether the car was a Deluxe or Standard. There were only 4 color choices for the Standard and 7 for the Deluxe. Also, the Deluxe could be had in certain two-tone combinations.

"the Deluxe could be had in certain two-tone combinations."

<!-- google_ad_section_end --> Hi Billybird

This is a new one to me so I am very interested. All the early Ford V8 books I have including the Ditzler / PPG paint refurbish manual say that apart from the 1940 deluxe dash, all the 1940 models are single colors.

Can you give us some details of what colors were avalible in the two tone range and maybe a photo of one factory painted in two tone showing where the dividing paint lines are.

Thanks

Guest billybird

The car in the above photos is not an authentic two-tone pattern. I'm quoting directly from the Early Ford V8 Club 1940 Ford restoration guide: "Yes Ford offered two-tone paint in an effort to liven up Spring sales. The allowable combinations are the following: Folkstone gray body and wheels with black fenders and grille sides. Folkstone gray body and wheels with Mandarin Maroon fenders and grille sides. Mandarin Maroon body and wheels with Folkstone Gray fenders and grille sides. Cloud mist gray body and wheels with Acadia Green fenders and grille sides."

"Ford required its dealers to order the following accessories with each two-tone car: license plate frames, fender skirts, one or two side view mirrors, locking gas cap, Ford script white sidewall tires, visor vanity mirror, oil bath air cleaner, oil filter, wheel inner trim rings, seat covers (or leather upholstery option), radio, heater, bumper end tips, bumper center guards (also called grille guards, front or rear or both), the dealer had the option of adding a spotlight, road lamps, or both"

I have seen two tone 40s at Early Ford V8 Club National Meets. The photo below depicts a Lyon Blue 1940 Standard, and a Folkstone Gray and Maroon DeLuxe. This picture is on the back cover of the book I just quoted.