1948 Pontiac Outside door handle

Guest whizzstank

Guest whizzstank

Just got the ole Silver Streak and the passenger outside door handle has no spring tension on it and does not open the door. The door works well from the inside . I have removed the door panel and tried to remove the door latch . I have noticed a hole in the door jamb of the door, when I move the outside handle I see a brass piece move . I cant get the outside handle off the door and can not seem to get the latch out .Help !!!!!!!!Thanks in advance -Steve

Steve

There is a small hole in the door, almost right above the latch. With the handle in its "rest" position, you should see a screw that is accessible. This screw is what holds the door handle to the latch assy. Once removed, the handle should pull out and the latch assy should be free to come out if you have removed the screws holding the latch assy. Matt

Guest whizzstank

Thanks for the reply!! I see what you are talking about. Looks like someone has started to drill the screw out and quit, does the screw go all the way through?? My hole looks to be 1/4 deep or so . Thank you - Steve