1937 Buick distributor please help

Guest rsil1972

Guest rsil1972

Hello all.. I'm in need of help today I went to remove my distributor cap to replace my points and condenser with new cap and rotor when I went to remove the side screw with the points wire attached the little washer fell down into the distributor. Does the metal plate inside the distributor come off the one the points screw to so I

Hello all.. I'm in need of help today I went to remove my distributor cap to replace my points and condenser with new cap and rotor when I went to remove the side screw with the points wire attached the little washer fell down into the distributor. Does the metal plate inside the distributor come off the one the points screw to so I

Without knowing your specific distributor, most of the breaker plates are secured to the dizzy body by two external screws thru the wall of the dizzy body, one of them usually secures the vac mechanism housing. If this is your setup, first disconnect the vac mechanism arm that passes thru the body wall to the breaker plate, then remove the breaker plate screws and simply lift the plate out of the dizzy body. Your washer should be down there with the advance/retard flyweights.

• Like 1

The breaker plate is held in place by 3 balls that let it rotate. Its travel is limited by the vacuum advance. To get the breaker plate out you have to remove remove the wiring, plastic insulator, the vacuum advance, rotate the breaker plate until the balls align with the 3 groves and then lift the breaker plate out.

Reverse to reassemble.

I think this is a job where the distributor would have to be removed from the engine to accomplish. Those 3 balls are really difficult to deal with even with the distributor on the bench.

Don

• Like 1

• 7 years later...

I may be in need of a new distributor for my 1937 Buick Series 40. Is this interchangeable with 1938?

Bob's only have for 1938-48, my question is if this will also fit my 1937?

Does anyone have a source for a 1937 distributor or interchangeable distributors? 

Thanks.

Carl

1152124360_Skjermbilde2021-04-11kl_19_44_11.png.30d942d8391ad24d0481d0e2748ccfaf.png

The 1937 Buick 40 used Delco-Remy distributor 663-Y. 1937 Buicks 60, 80 and 90 used Delco-Remy distributors 663-Z if equipped with Stromberg carburetor and 663-ZX if equipped with Marvel carburetor. All 1938-48 Buicks used Delco-Remy distributor 1110801 (some used 1110805). I'm quite confident that a 1110801 interchanges with a 663-Y. I can gladly look up what the difference is.

Edited by Peter R. (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hi Peter.

I would be very happy for any help. I just bought this Buick, and I have no manuals or books on it.......yet. If it would not be too much to ask, I'd appreciate if you can look up the differences for me. Right now, the 1938 distributor is the only one I can find. I suppose the one on the car canoe rebuilt.

Carl